Sufficient Statistic: Fisher Theorem | Bernoulli(p)

• MHB
  • Thread starter Julio1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Statistic
In summary: Therefore, in summary, the statistic $T$ is sufficient for $p$ according to the Fisher Factorization theorem.
Julio1
Let $\underline{X}=X_1,...,X_n$ an random sample of size $n$. Show that the statistic $T=\displaystyle\sum_{i=1}^n X_i$ is an sufficient statistic for $p$ if $X\sim Bernoulli(p)$ with $0<p<1.$

Hello :). I think that can use the Fisher Theorem (Factorization) for find the statistic and therefore show that is an sufficient statistic. Truth?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes that is correct. The Fisher Factorization theorem states that if a sample $\underline{X}$ is independent and identically distributed, then the joint probability distribution $f(\underline{X})$ can be written as a product of functions of the individual variables $X_i$ and functions of sufficient statistics $T$: $$f(\underline{X})=h(\underline{X})\cdot g(T)$$In this case, we have a Bernoulli random variable with parameter $p$ which has a probability mass function of $$f(x)=p^x (1-p)^{1-x}$$Since $X_i$ are independent and identically distributed, we can factorize the joint probability mass function as$$f(\underline{X})=\prod_{i=1}^n p^{X_i} (1-p)^{1-X_i} = p^{\sum_{i=1}^n X_i} (1-p)^{n-\sum_{i=1}^n X_i} = h(\underline{X})\cdot g(T)$$where $T = \sum_{i=1}^n X_i$ is the sufficient statistic for $p$.

1. What is a sufficient statistic in the context of Fisher's Theorem and Bernoulli trials?

A sufficient statistic is a function of the observed data that contains all the necessary information about the unknown parameter, in this case p, in a Bernoulli trial. It summarizes the data in a way that eliminates the need to use the entire dataset when making inferences about the parameter.

2. How is a sufficient statistic related to the likelihood function in Fisher's Theorem?

In Fisher's Theorem, a sufficient statistic is defined as a function of the data that has the same distribution, regardless of the value of the unknown parameter. This means that the likelihood function, which is the probability of the data given the parameter, does not change when using the sufficient statistic instead of the entire dataset.

3. Can you provide an example of a sufficient statistic in a Bernoulli trial scenario?

Yes, in a Bernoulli trial where we are interested in the probability of success, p, the number of successes, X, is a sufficient statistic. This is because knowing the number of successes is enough to make inferences about the probability of success without needing to know the outcomes of all the individual trials.

4. How does Fisher's Theorem help us make inferences about an unknown parameter in a Bernoulli trial?

Fisher's Theorem states that if a statistic is sufficient, then it contains all the necessary information about the unknown parameter. This means that we can use the sufficient statistic to make inferences about the parameter without needing to use the entire dataset. This simplifies the process of making statistical inferences and can save time and resources.

5. Are there any limitations to using Fisher's Theorem and sufficient statistics in Bernoulli trials?

One limitation is that Fisher's Theorem only applies to exponential families, which includes the Bernoulli distribution. Additionally, finding a sufficient statistic for a particular scenario can be difficult and may require advanced mathematical techniques. Furthermore, using a sufficient statistic can sometimes lead to a loss of information, which may affect the accuracy of our inferences.