Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Suggestions for Term Paper?

1. Apr 10, 2009 #1
    I have following topics and I have to choose one among them for the term paper in Calculus II:

1- Numerical Analysis.
    2- Sequence and Series.
    3- Polar Coordinates.
    4- Finding Areas through Integration.

What topic would make the most interesting paper considering the applications?

P.S = I'm doing Telecommunication Engineering major, so application in Telecommunications would be more important.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2009 #2
    I guess for the given major, its best you either do 1 or 3...

Numerical analysis is always needed for engineers, and polar coordinates is also always needed for engineers, especially when you do some theoretical design etc.

4. Apr 10, 2009 #3

nicksauce

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I have no idea if you could find enough to write a term paper on for 3 or 4, so I would say 1 or 2 would be best. But I also have no idea what a term paper in CalculusII is supposed to be like.

5. Apr 10, 2009 #4
    When you say telecommunications, do you mean the physics side (E&M, random signals etc.) or the computer science side (algorithms, data structures, etc.)

If it's the former, then numerical analysis would be best. You could talk about how numerical analysis can be used in simulating certain systems of differential equations or something or other.

If it's the latter, series would be better. You could talk about algorithms' complexities and techniques for evaluating series.

Or perhaps you could write a slightly more advanced paper on fourier series? You could work both series AND numerical analysis into that.

6. Apr 14, 2009 #5
    Well, personally I'm interested in either 'Sequence and infinite Series' (in relation to signal generation and control) or 'Polar Coordinates'. And I'm on the physics side more than programming.

Thanks for suggestions, all of you.

7. Apr 15, 2009 #6

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Unless you have a great idea for polar coordinates, it seems like there's no a whole lot to write about, and most of it's pretty uninspiring

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook