How to Find the Sum of a Series with ln and Factorials as Terms?

In summary: Ok thanks a lot guys for your help.In summary, you would need to use the sum of exponents to find the sum of the series.
thyrsta

Homework Statement

I have a question involving the sum of a series. I have already worked out a series, and the equation for a term in the series is:

((ln a)^n)/n!

a is just a variable, and n is the position in the sequence

a variation is:

(ln a)*((ln a)^(n-1))/n!

How would I start writing an equation for the sum of the series?

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using the variation and treating it as a geometric series, with (ln a) as the first term, but that didn't work, for obvious reasons, since the second part isn't exactly the difference/scalar

Physics news on Phys.org
thyrsta said:

Homework Statement

I have a question involving the sum of a series. I have already worked out a series, and the equation for a term in the series is:

((ln a)^n)/n!

a is just a variable, and n is the position in the sequence

a variation is:

(ln a)*((ln a)^(n-1))/n!

How would I start writing an equation for the sum of the series?

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using the variation and treating it as a geometric series, with (ln a) as the first term, but that didn't work, for obvious reasons, since the second part isn't exactly the difference/scalar

For a minute let's make a quick substitution of x=lna

does the infinite sum of xn/n! look familiar?

rock.freak667 said:
For a minute let's make a quick substitution of x=lna

does the infinite sum of xn/n! look familiar?

Sorry, no. I haven't learned much more beyond simple geometric and arithmetic series

thyrsta said:
Sorry, no. I haven't learned much more beyond simple geometric and arithmetic series

Have you learned the Taylor/Maclaurin series of ex?

rock.freak667 said:
Have you learned the Taylor/Maclaurin series of ex?

No I haven't

thyrsta said:
No I haven't

In that case, without using the direct result of

[tex]e^x = \sum_{n=0} ^{\infty} \frac{x^n}{n!}[/tex]

I am not sure how to get you a closed for solution.

rock.freak667 said:
In that case, without using the direct result of

[tex]e^x = \sum_{n=0} ^{\infty} \frac{x^n}{n!}[/tex]

I am not sure how to get you a closed for solution.

so eln a=a

But is there any way to have an equation that would give you the sum of a given number of terms in the series?

thyrsta said:
so eln a=a

But is there any way to have an equation that would give you the sum of a given number of terms in the series?

I don't think so. It's not a geometric series.

Dick said:
I don't think so. It's not a geometric series.

Ok thanks a lot guys for your help

1. What is a "Sum of a ? Series"?

A "Sum of a ? Series" is a mathematical concept where the values of an infinite or finite sequence of numbers are added together. The "?" represents a variable or a pattern that determines the values in the sequence.

2. How do you find the sum of a ? series?

The sum of a ? series can be found by using a formula specific to the type of series, such as arithmetic, geometric, or harmonic. This formula involves plugging in the values of the first term, the common difference or ratio, and the number of terms in the series.

3. What is the difference between an infinite and a finite ? series?

An infinite ? series has an infinite number of terms, while a finite ? series has a specific, limited number of terms. This means that the sum of an infinite ? series may not have a final value, while the sum of a finite ? series will have a definite answer.

4. What are the applications of ? series in real life?

? series have various applications in fields such as finance, physics, and computer science. For example, in finance, ? series are used to calculate the future value of investments. In physics, they are used to model real-life phenomena like population growth. And in computer science, they are used in algorithms and data analysis.

5. What are some common examples of ? series?

Some common examples of ? series include arithmetic series (e.g. 1, 4, 7, 10, ...), geometric series (e.g. 2, 6, 18, 54, ...), and harmonic series (e.g. 1, 1/2, 1/3, 1/4, ...). Other examples include Fibonacci series (e.g. 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, ...) and prime number series (e.g. 2, 3, 5, 7, 11, ...).