Sum of all integrers of a certain degree

In summary: Start with the base case n = 1, where the sum is trivially equal to 1^p. Then, assume the formula holds for some arbitrary integer k. We want to show that it also holds for k+1.Using the formula, we have:\sum_{m=1}^{k+1}m^{p}=\sum_{m=1}^{p+2}\left(\sum_{j=1}^{m}j^{p}\prod_{l=1}^{p+2}\frac{k+1-l}{m-l}\right)We can then rewrite the inner sum as:\sum_{j=1}^{m}j^{p}=\sum_{j=1}
Werg22
Is there a general formula for the sum all the terms of the a serie such as:

1^n + 2^n + 3^n ... a^n

?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Werg22 said:
Is there a general formula for the sum all the terms of the a serie such as:
1^n + 2^n + 3^n ... a^n
?

well, as far as i know, the formulas differ depending on the power. I don't think that you can generalize a rhiemann summation like that...although it would defenetly be useful.

i know that sum(n) = n(n-1)/2
sum(n^2)=n(n-1)(n-2)/6

and so on...but i never had to memorize them so i might be wrong about the second one...if there was a way to combine all of them no matter the power, it should be in the precalculus manuals i think.

This looks like one

I was looking for this a few weeks ago and found one here:
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/FaulhabersFormula.html"
Also, google: "general power series sum" or variation and you should get quite a few hits

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a standard reference "Table of Integrals, Series, and Products" by Gradshteyn and Ryzhik, published by Academic Press. The answer gets fairly complicated in n. It is a polynomial in degree n+1 without a constant term and sometimes without a linear term. Specifically there are terms in n+1, n, n-1, n-3, n-5, etc.

Another way to do it

I came up with another general way. Borrows a bit from Faulhaber's formula but it's a little simpler and might be a little faster as it uses fewer factorials and no Bernoulli numbers

[tex]
\sum_{j=0}^m j^p \quad = \quad p! \sum_{j=0}^m Q_{pj} R_{pmj}
[/tex]

[tex]
Q_{pk} \quad = \quad \left\{
\begin{array}{ll}
\sum_{j=0}^k -1^j \frac{ (k - j + 1)^p}{j!(p - j)!} \quad & k < p \\
1 & k \geq p
\end{array}
[/tex]

[tex]
R_{pmk} \quad = \quad \prod_{l=1}^p 1 + \frac{m - l}{k}
[/tex]

Last edited:
Robokapp said:
well, as far as i know, the formulas differ depending on the power. I don't think that you can generalize a rhiemann summation like that...although it would defenetly be useful.
i know that sum(n) = n(n-1)/2
sum(n^2)=n(n-1)(n-2)/6
and so on...but i never had to memorize them so i might be wrong about the second one...if there was a way to combine all of them no matter the power, it should be in the precalculus manuals i think.

There's a typo there, it should be
sum(n^2)=n(n+1)(2n+1)/6.
Although n(n-1)(n-2)/6 will always return a possitve integer for n > 2, it does not give you the desired number.

Here's one using Lagrange Interpolating Polynomials

Here's one using Lagrange Interpolating Polynomials (eqivalent to simplified polynomial curve fitting here).

[tex]\sum_{k=1}^{n}k^{p}=\sum_{k=1}^{p+2}\left(\sum_{m=1}^{k}m^{p}\prod_{j=1}^{p+2}\frac{n-j}{k-j}\right)[/tex]

where, in the product, the terms with j=k are omitted.

Last edited:
Alright. I hope the proof of those sum is not tied to integral as I was looking for such a thing in order to proove the integral!

Werg22 said:
Alright. I hope the proof of those sum is not tied to integral as I was looking for such a thing in order to proove the integral!

You can use bivariate induction to prove the above sum.

Related to Sum of all integrers of a certain degree

1. What is the formula for finding the sum of all integers of a certain degree?

The formula for finding the sum of all integers of a certain degree is n(n+1)/2, where n is the highest integer in the sequence.

2. How do you determine the degree of an integer?

The degree of an integer is determined by the highest power of the variable present in the expression. For example, in the expression 3x^2 + 5x + 2, the degree is 2.

3. Can the sum of all integers of a certain degree be negative?

Yes, the sum of all integers of a certain degree can be negative if the sequence contains both positive and negative integers.

4. Is there a shortcut for finding the sum of all integers of a certain degree?

Yes, there is a shortcut known as the Gauss' method which involves pairing the first and last term in the sequence and multiplying it by the number of terms in the sequence divided by 2. This method is often used for finding the sum of consecutive integers.

5. How is the sum of all integers of a certain degree related to calculus?

The sum of all integers of a certain degree is related to calculus through the concept of integration. The formula for finding the sum of all integers of a certain degree is similar to the formula for finding the definite integral of a polynomial function. Additionally, the concept of limits in calculus can be used to prove the formula for finding the sum of all integers of a certain degree.