Sum of torques/friction problem

• Thread starter ddn87
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sum
In summary, the question asks for the coefficient of static friction between a 7.1 m tall aluminum ladder and a frictionless vertical wall. The ladder has a weight of 227 N and slips at a 52 degree angle with the horizontal floor. To solve this, apply the conditions for equilibrium ΣF = 0 and ΣT = 0 and draw a free body diagram of the ladder.
ddn87

Homework Statement

What is the magnitude of the horizontal
A uniform 7.1 m tall aluminum ladder is leaing against a frictionless vertical wall. The
ladder has a weight of 227 N. The ladder slips
when it makes a 52.0◦ angle with the horizontal floor.
Determine the coefficient of static friction
between the ladder and the floor

Homework Equations

sum of torquest ET=0 and Newtons second EF=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

We did a problem like this in class today but we didnt take the coefficient of friction into account I am not sure where to start with this... I have drawn a diagram... and since It slips at 52 degrees i believe that is kinetic friction... rather than the static friction coefficient which i am trying to find out. If i go thought the sum of torques equation i find out that the force force of friction in the x direction should equal the normal force as the ladder pushes against the wall... could some one please help me understand this concept a little better?

Physics news on Phys.org
ddn87 said:
and since It slips at 52 degrees i believe that is kinetic friction... rather than the static friction coefficient which i am trying to find out.
No, all you need to worry about is static friction. The ladder is at the point where it is just about to slip, so static friction is at its maximum.
If i go thought the sum of torques equation i find out that the force force of friction in the x direction should equal the normal force as the ladder pushes against the wall... could some one please help me understand this concept a little better?
Apply all the conditions for equilibrium: ΣF = 0 and ΣT = 0.

Draw a free body diagram of the ladder.

As a scientist, it is important to approach problems like this by breaking them down into smaller components and utilizing known equations and principles to find a solution. In this problem, we are given the height and weight of the ladder, as well as the angle at which it slips. We also know that the ladder is leaning against a frictionless wall.

To find the coefficient of static friction, we can use the equation EF=ma, where F is the force of friction, m is the mass of the ladder, and a is the acceleration due to gravity. We can also use the equation ET=0, where T is the torque and the sum of all torques must equal zero.

First, let's consider the forces acting on the ladder. We have the weight of the ladder acting downward, and the normal force from the floor acting upward. Since the ladder is not moving vertically, the sum of these forces must be equal: Fg = Fn.

Next, let's consider the torques. The only torque acting on the ladder is the weight of the ladder, which is acting at the center of mass. We can use the equation T = Fd, where T is the torque, F is the force, and d is the distance from the pivot point (in this case, the bottom of the ladder) to the force. Since the ladder is not slipping, the sum of all torques must be equal to zero: T = 0. This means that Fd = 0, and since d cannot be zero, F must also be zero. This tells us that there is no friction acting on the ladder.

Since there is no friction, we can conclude that the coefficient of static friction between the ladder and the floor is zero. This makes sense, as the ladder is leaning against a frictionless wall and is not slipping horizontally.

In summary, by breaking down the problem into smaller components and using known equations and principles, we can determine that the coefficient of static friction in this scenario is zero. This understanding can help us in future problems involving similar situations.

FAQ: Sum of torques/friction problem

What is the sum of torques/friction problem?

The sum of torques/friction problem is a physics concept that involves calculating the total torque or friction acting on an object in a rotational motion.

How do you calculate the sum of torques/friction?

The sum of torques/friction can be calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the pivot point, or by using the formula ∑T = ∑F x r, where ∑T is the sum of torques, ∑F is the sum of forces, and r is the distance from the pivot point.

What are some real-world applications of the sum of torques/friction problem?

The sum of torques/friction problem is applicable to many real-world situations, such as calculating the torque needed to turn a screw, determining the friction force necessary to stop a car, or analyzing the forces involved in a bicycle wheel rotating.

How does the sum of torques/friction affect rotational motion?

The sum of torques/friction plays a crucial role in rotational motion as it determines the direction and speed of the motion. If the sum of torques/friction is zero, the object will continue to rotate at a constant speed, but if it is non-zero, the object will experience a change in its rotational motion.

Can the sum of torques/friction be negative?

Yes, the sum of torques/friction can be negative if the forces acting on an object cause it to rotate in the opposite direction, or if the friction force acts in the opposite direction of the motion. In this case, the negative sign indicates the direction of the torque or friction force.