Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sum of two random variables

1. Mar 28, 2010 #1
    Hi,

I've been working on this problem but I feel like I'm over complicating it. If you have a random variable X= a*e(j*phi), where phi is uniform on the interval [0,2pi) and a is some constant, and another random variable Y= b where b is a constant. I'm looking to find the probability density function of the random variable Z=X+Y.

This is probably really simple but from what Ive been trying to do, I can just take the fourier transform of X, fourier transform of Y multiply them, and then take the inverse fourier of that, but it doesn't seem to work. How can I do this?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2010 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You haven't defined j. If I can assume you mean i (sqrt(-1)), then X (complex variable) is uniformly distributed on a circle of radius a, centered at 0. Z is then uniformly distributed on a circle of radius a centered at b.

4. Mar 29, 2010 #3
    yes, i apologize, j is sqrt(-1). After defining in matlab phi=rand(1,M).*2*pi where M=1000, i plotted Z= b+a.*exp(j.*phi) for various values of a and b and it looked kinda like an upside gaussian distribution centered about pi. Is this right?

5. Mar 29, 2010 #4
    *upside down gaussian distribution

6. Mar 30, 2010 #5

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm confused about what you did, since Z is complex, not real.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook