Summer getting too hard for you? Post your Fall Schedule to cool down

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
247 replies · 45K views
Although I've have been thinking that If I get a 3.2 GPA this semester, I'll probably take five classes on the spring semester, along with an Honors class.

I know, and that's why I want to take Calculus so badly! I even thought to myself that if I'm having trouble in Trigonometry, I'll simply purchase a used textbook and study analytic trigonometry during my spare time.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah I will be taking calc III next semester and I want to study trig again, but I don't know when that will happen lol. I'm thinking of taking it on thinkwell. I bought a trig textbook and eventually sold it back because I read a small part of it only once.
 
^If you want to rent textbooks inexpensively, there's a website I know about named Chegg.com where you can rent them.
 
TylerH said:
You were a Marine?! That's cool enough to make up for any schedule.

Haha Thanks TylerH, I got to live every little boys dream of spending all day shooting rocket launchers and playing with C-4 for my job. It was a blast. Unfortunately, all the time off from serious school work has me quite nervous to dive in headfirst. I guess it's like riding a bike, a little refresher and good as new.

HeLiXe said:
Tell me more about this "Intro to Exploration." :biggrin: What is it?

Intro to exploration is a course that skims the surface of a lot of areas of science and engineering. As per the course description, "Science and engineering of Earth, solar system, and space exploration. Experimental design, engineering design; teaming; the professions of science and engineering."

Arizona State University is all about becoming some "New American University" where learning thrives through interdisciplinary study. So they want to bring a bunch of different fields together in a class like this to get us all thinking about the same problems.
 
Applications of Quantum Mechanics
Thermal Systems Design
Intro to Energy Systems
Electronics
Mathematical Physics
Aquisition and Analysis of Experimental Information
 
Starting to get into the thick of it!

Thermodynamics
Material Sciences
Physics II
Comp EE
Construction Management (fills up quickly, should have taken this a year ago)

I took Statics over the Summer and will be taking a credit exam for Calc III in a few weeks ($20 for a credit? Yes please). Should be an interesting semester, though I'm sure Thermo is going to be hell.
 
Physics_Grunt said:
Unfortunately, all the time off from serious school work has me quite nervous to dive in headfirst. I guess it's like riding a bike, a little refresher and good as new.

From what I hear, being in the Marines teaches you a level of discipline way beyond that of most people just coming out of high school. If it's true, I'm sure it'll more than make up for anything you've forgotten.
 
Schr0d1ng3r said:
Applications of Quantum Mechanics
Thermal Systems Design
Intro to Energy Systems
Electronics
Mathematical Physics
Aquisition and Analysis of Experimental Information

Mcmaster?
 
Schr0d1ng3r said:
Yep. Why, you too?

Nope, UT. I saw Engineering physics-Nuclear and had a feeling it was McMaster.
 
crazyisraelie said:
Nope, UT. I saw Engineering physics-Nuclear and had a feeling it was McMaster.

UT being Toronto, or one of the others with that acronym?
 
Schr0d1ng3r said:
UT being Toronto, or one of the others with that acronym?

Tennessee actually.
 
crazyisraelie said:
Tennessee actually.

Oh, excellent! Please forgive my Canadianisms...
 
Schr0d1ng3r said:
Oh, excellent! Please forgive my Canadianisms...

Very cool and best of luck with your degree! Also no reason to forgive!
 
crazyisraelie said:
Very cool and best of luck with your degree! Also no reason to forgive!

Thanks, you too!
 
Schr0d1ng3r said:
Oh, excellent! Please forgive my Canadianisms...

Dirty Canadians! Get your own PF! :-p
 
Bogrune said:
^If you want to rent textbooks inexpensively, there's a website I know about named Chegg.com where you can rent them.
Thanks so much!
Physics_Grunt said:
Intro to exploration is a course that skims the surface of a lot of areas of science and engineering. As per the course description, "Science and engineering of Earth, solar system, and space exploration. Experimental design, engineering design; teaming; the professions of science and engineering."

Arizona State University is all about becoming some "New American University" where learning thrives through interdisciplinary study. So they want to bring a bunch of different fields together in a class like this to get us all thinking about the same problems.

:biggrin: Niiiiiiiiice :)
 
TylerH said:
From what I hear, being in the Marines teaches you a level of discipline way beyond that of most people just coming out of high school. If it's true, I'm sure it'll more than make up for anything you've forgotten.

I do feel like I'll have time management skills and work ethic that I wouldn't have otherwise had going into college. I'll just be hitting the books hard to not get behind early on. More than anything I'm just excited to get started.
 
ok, here is my final semester for fall
psychology
sociology
logic
world culture fundametal
electromagnetism
Statistical probability
french
fundametal of programming
nuclear physics
basketball

is it ok for sophomore year
 
I've finally accumulated enough credits at my local CC to qualify as a transfer student at the nearby university. I was able to get most of my core curriculum and humanities courses out of the way for about a third of the cost. I'm excited to finally be a full-time student as well as concentrate on courses within my major!

Calculus III (Honors)
Linear Algebra
Differential Equations
Theory of Positive Integers
Intermediate Macroeconomics (Honors)

I'm anxious to start my proof-based courses, but Calc III and LA are the prerequisites for pretty much every single upper-division mathematics course at my university, so I need to get those out of the way.
 
Last edited:
qwerty68 said:
ok, here is my final semester for fall
psychology
sociology
logic
world culture fundametal
electromagnetism
Statistical probability
french
fundametal of programming
nuclear physics
basketball

is it ok for sophomore year

How the hell are you taking 9 courses? This shocks me...
 
qwerty68 said:
ok, here is my final semester for fall
psychology
sociology
logic
world culture fundametal
electromagnetism
Statistical probability
french
fundametal of programming
nuclear physics
basketball

is it ok for sophomore year

Is that the list you're choosing from, or does your institution actually allow you to enroll in that many credits for one semester? :bugeye:

That looks to be above the maximum amount of credits that a university typically allows.
 
Dembadon said:
Is that the list you're choosing from, or does your institution actually allow you to enroll in that many credits for one semester? :bugeye:

That looks to be above the maximum amount of credits that a university typically allows.

My guess would be that he has listed a full year, rather than just one semester. What shocked me was "basketball".
 
my university allow me to choose all of this, because i asked some older student they say sociology, logic, culturel, and psychology is very easy. this is not maximum but i much have time to study. basketball is a sport, very easy.
only for fall semester
 
These, and high school:

College Math II: Trigonometry
Discrete Math
Physics I
Introduction to Programming in C++

and I take chemistry and biology in high school.

I still feel like it's nothing compared to most, but :D
 
Schr0d1ng3r said:
My guess would be that he has listed a full year, rather than just one semester. What shocked me was "basketball".

Indeed, that you are able to get credits for sports (except when you're studying sports or physiotherapy) is a laugh really.
 
eXorikos said:
Indeed, that you are able to get credits for sports (except when you're studying sports or physiotherapy) is a laugh really.

Well, when you think about it, it's probably going to be about as useful to him as taking a history course or something. Neither one is really necessary towards what he's studying (nuclear engineering, if I recall correctly). The reason engineers take these courses is for breadth, and I suppose that basketball gives that about as much as anything else (except for language or business). It definitely caught me off-guard though, since I've never seen sports offered as credits. I suppose there are different academic practices around the world though.
 
qwerty68 said:
ok, here is my final semester for fall
psychology
sociology
logic
world culture fundametal
electromagnetism
Statistical probability
french
fundametal of programming
nuclear physics
basketball

is it ok for sophomore year
Do you actually get graded in your "basketball" course, or is it that you have to take a sports course which is then just pass or fail? I know the latter was the case when I was studying back home. We had PE in years two and three, and we just had to be there a certain number of times. You wouldn't really get credits for it, but you had to pass if you wanted to advance to your next year.
 
Ryker said:
Do you actually get graded in your "basketball" course, or is it that you have to take a sports course which is then just pass or fail? I know the latter was the case when I was studying back home. We had PE in years two and three, and we just had to be there a certain number of times. You wouldn't really get credits for it, but you had to pass if you wanted to advance to your next year.

basketball is the course i had to pass if i wanted to advance ito the next. my domain is nuclear engineering. sr my keyboard is down.
 
Schr0d1ng3r said:
Well, when you think about it, it's probably going to be about as useful to him as taking a history course or something. Neither one is really necessary towards what he's studying (nuclear engineering, if I recall correctly). The reason engineers take these courses is for breadth, and I suppose that basketball gives that about as much as anything else (except for language or business). It definitely caught me off-guard though, since I've never seen sports offered as credits. I suppose there are different academic practices around the world though.

That's one of the reasons we are not allowed to take courses outside our field except when you can justify it. Like doing some business or economics course if you choose the professional option, or teaching courses etc.