MSc Physics Summer Internship in UK/Singapore - Advice & Listings

• Thread starter girish_sharma
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Summer
In summary, the individual is an MSc. Physics 1st year student from SSSU, India who is interested in research. They are looking for a summer project in either the UK or Singapore and are seeking guidance on the procedure and a list of universities that offer such projects. However, it is rare for professors to have suitable projects for international students during a specific time frame due to limited opportunities and preference for local students. Additionally, such research positions are not advertised in the UK and it is recommended for the individual to gain experience through internships before pursuing scientific opportunities abroad.
girish_sharma
Hi, I am doing my MSc. Physics 1st year from SSSU,India. I am keenly interested in research. I want to go for a summer project possibly in U.K/Singapore. Can anyone give some guidance as to what is procedure and also a list of some Universities that offer summer project. I want a project of around 6-7 weeks during April-May 2009

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm afraid that's not how it works. Most summer projects are limited to either students from the professor's university or very specific nationally funded programs like REU. It's the rare professor indeed who has a suitable 6 week project, in the right time period, and who doesn't want to fill it with a student at his university but instead wants to bring someone else inexperienced from half-way around the world.

I wouldn't go so far as implying that the OP is inexperienced- he is an MSc. student, which means that he holds an undergraduate degree. Anyway, as far as the question goes, such things as REUs don't exist as such in the UK, and if such research positions do open up, they are usually only advertised to the older students already enrolled in the department.

He's almost certainly inexperienced compared to a full-time graduate student. (Heck, when I first started as a postdoc it took me a couple weeks to learn all the equipment and start being productive). He's also almost certainly inexperienced compared to folks who can be found nearby.

If I were you, I would probably start doing a internship in India with a large multinational, then after getting some handson experience going abroad doing more scientific stuff.

1. What is an MSc Physics Summer Internship?

An MSc Physics Summer Internship is a short-term work experience opportunity for students pursuing a Master of Science degree in Physics. It typically takes place during the summer months and allows students to gain practical experience in their field of study.

2. Why should I consider doing an MSc Physics Summer Internship in the UK or Singapore?

The UK and Singapore are both major hubs for research and innovation in the field of Physics, offering a wide range of opportunities for students to gain hands-on experience and network with professionals in their field. Additionally, these countries have top universities and research institutions, making them highly desirable locations for internships.

3. How can I find MSc Physics Summer Internships in the UK or Singapore?

There are several ways to find MSc Physics Summer Internships in the UK or Singapore. You can search online on job websites, university career portals, or directly on the websites of companies and research institutions. You can also attend career fairs and networking events, or reach out to your professors and peers for recommendations.

4. What should I consider when choosing an MSc Physics Summer Internship in the UK or Singapore?

When choosing an MSc Physics Summer Internship, you should consider the specific research areas and projects that interest you, the location and duration of the internship, the reputation and resources of the organization, and any financial support or benefits offered. It's also important to ensure that the internship aligns with your academic and career goals.

5. What advice do you have for students pursuing an MSc Physics Summer Internship in the UK or Singapore?

My advice for students pursuing an MSc Physics Summer Internship in the UK or Singapore is to start your search early, research the organizations and projects thoroughly, tailor your application to each opportunity, and network with professionals in your field. It's also important to be open-minded and willing to learn, and to make the most of your internship experience by asking questions, taking initiative, and building relationships with your colleagues.