1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Summer Internhip Help

1. Jul 6, 2008 #1
    Hi, I am doing my MSc. Physics 1st year from SSSU,India. I am keenly interested in research. I want to go for a summer project possibly in U.K/Singapore. Can anyone give some guidance as to what is procedure and also a list of some Universities that offer summer project. I want a project of around 6-7 weeks during April-May 2009

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 6, 2008 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2015 Award

I'm afraid that's not how it works. Most summer projects are limited to either students from the professor's university or very specific nationally funded programs like REU. It's the rare professor indeed who has a suitable 6 week project, in the right time period, and who doesn't want to fill it with a student at his university but instead wants to bring someone else inexperienced from half-way around the world.

4. Jul 6, 2008 #3

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I wouldnt go so far as implying that the OP is inexperienced- he is an MSc. student, which means that he holds an undergraduate degree. Anyway, as far as the question goes, such things as REUs dont exist as such in the UK, and if such research positions do open up, they are usually only advertised to the older students already enrolled in the department.

5. Jul 6, 2008 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2015 Award

He's almost certainly inexperienced compared to a full-time graduate student. (Heck, when I first started as a postdoc it took me a couple weeks to learn all the equipment and start being productive). He's also almost certainly inexperienced compared to folks who can be found nearby.

6. Jul 6, 2008 #5
    If I were you, I would probably start doing a internship in India with a large multinational, then after getting some handson experience going abroad doing more scientific stuff.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?