1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Summer Plans

1. May 10, 2007 #1

EP

Hi! This summer I would like to do something extracurricular within physics. I'm taking classes this summer to catch up in credits due to transferring so I dont really have time to get an internship. But I was wondering if it would be ok to contact a professor who has a similiar research interest as me to see if he could use any help this summer. Of course I would offer my services for free (with the hidden agenda getting a letter of recomondation later). I dont know if professor's typically do this? It would be a part-time thing but I'm not even sure what to really ask of him. Also the professor I have in mind I dont actually know and he is the head of the math and sciences department, so do think he would have time for someone like me?

Any suggestions on how to get some part-time enrichment work this summer would be great! Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. May 10, 2007 #2

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It can't hurt to ask. As long as you present yourself well and show genuine interest I don't see why he would turn you down if he was looking for someone.

Give it a shot! Good Luck!!!

4. May 10, 2007 #3

EP

Just curious, has anyone ever done something like this. Or has any professor's here just taken a student as part-time help for the summer. I guess I like to just have some conformation on this because I here of people doing full time internships with students but not usually part time.

5. May 11, 2007 #4

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'm know of several people in my department that have done this. Personally, I applied for an REU, which is an NSF funded research internship. You should consider applying one of those next summer if you are a US citizen of permanent resident and interested in getting involved with research. They hold them at universities across the country.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?