Seeking Part-Time Physics Enrichment This Summer

In summary, this summer, the author wants to do some extracurricular enrichment work involving physics, but is unsure if a professor would be interested in having them work part-time.
EP
Hi! This summer I would like to do something extracurricular within physics. I'm taking classes this summer to catch up in credits due to transferring so I don't really have time to get an internship. But I was wondering if it would be ok to contact a professor who has a similar research interest as me to see if he could use any help this summer. Of course I would offer my services for free (with the hidden agenda getting a letter of recomondation later). I don't know if professor's typically do this? It would be a part-time thing but I'm not even sure what to really ask of him. Also the professor I have in mind I don't actually know and he is the head of the math and sciences department, so do think he would have time for someone like me?

Any suggestions on how to get some part-time enrichment work this summer would be great! Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
It can't hurt to ask. As long as you present yourself well and show genuine interest I don't see why he would turn you down if he was looking for someone.

Give it a shot! Good Luck!

Just curious, has anyone ever done something like this. Or has any professor's here just taken a student as part-time help for the summer. I guess I like to just have some conformation on this because I here of people doing full time internships with students but not usually part time.

I'm know of several people in my department that have done this. Personally, I applied for an REU, which is an NSF funded research internship. You should consider applying one of those next summer if you are a US citizen of permanent resident and interested in getting involved with research. They hold them at universities across the country.

Related to Seeking Part-Time Physics Enrichment This Summer

1. What is "Seeking Part-Time Physics Enrichment This Summer"?

"Seeking Part-Time Physics Enrichment This Summer" is a program designed for individuals who are interested in furthering their understanding and knowledge of physics during the summer months. It offers part-time classes and activities that are aimed at enhancing one's understanding and appreciation of physics.

2. Who is eligible to participate in this program?

This program is open to anyone who has a passion for physics and is looking to enrich their understanding of the subject during the summer. It is suitable for high school students, college students, and even working professionals who want to expand their knowledge of physics.

3. What topics are covered in the program?

The program covers a wide range of topics in the field of physics, including classical mechanics, electromagnetism, thermodynamics, optics, and modern physics. Participants will also have the opportunity to engage in hands-on experiments and demonstrations to further their understanding of these concepts.

4. How long does the program last?

The program typically runs for 6-8 weeks during the summer months, with classes held 2-3 times a week. The exact duration may vary depending on the specific program and schedule.

5. Is there any prior knowledge or experience required to participate?

While prior knowledge or experience in physics is not required, it is recommended that participants have a basic understanding of algebra and trigonometry. This will help them grasp the concepts more easily and make the most out of the program.