Outdated vs. Essential: A List of Superceded Theories in Physics

• B
  • Thread starter fanieh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theories
In summary, the classical version of gravity is outdated, but it is still required in certain cases such as with Maxwell's Equation and EM waves. The Bohr model of the atom is outdated, but quantum mechanics still requires it. The coordinate system is outdated, but it is still required in some cases.
fanieh
Please give list of superceded theories in which the classical version is outdated and where the classical version is still required, for example:

In going from Newtonian gravity to General Relativity, we can do away with Newtonian gravity and use only General Relativity...

In the atom, we can bypass directly Bohr version of the atom and go directly to quantum mechanics...

But in classical electromagnetic field, we can't eliminate it and go directly to quantum field theory because we still need the Maxwell equation in knowing the full behavior of light. But not in General Relativity where we don't need the Newtonian equation.. and not in quantum mechanics where we don't need to know the Bohr model of the atom. So please give other examples as I'd like to have idea how to distinguish theories that can be superceded and those that are still required. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
The entire premise of this thread is misdirected. http://chem.tufts.edu/AnswersInScience/RelativityofWrong.htm Is a good starting point.

Nugatory said:
The entire premise of this thread is misdirected. http://chem.tufts.edu/AnswersInScience/RelativityofWrong.htm Is a good starting point.

If you have other articles.. please share it.. I think what is superceded is the coordinates?

In Maxwell Equation and EM wave, we don't replace them with QFT.. but only use QFT in the smallest section of the wave or the photons...
But in Newtonian space.. we replaced it with Minkowski and GR...
In Bohr Atom.. we replaced it with QM and maybe related to coordinates too...

so maybe what's superceded are the coordinates? What do you think other fellows here?

fanieh said:
so maybe what's superceded are the coordinates?
As I see it, physics is all about coordinates. You may call it rest frame or geodesic or even eigenstates. In the end they all are coordinates in some way. So the only thing which definitely didn't change are coordinates, which is quite natural as it means to measure something. I like Asimov's statement very much, as e.g. although I know that I communicate around the entire globe here on PF and need satellites to do so, I usually can live well with a flat Earth model for everyday business. Furthermore it contradicts to some extend the way sciences are developed, because in science we either have hypothesis which are falsified like the ether model or the four elements model, or valid theories with respect to certain conditions and expansions of them for different conditions. It's Newton's understanding of forces and a flat earth, aka a local chart, that keeps me on the road while driving. GR and curvature would really complicate the entire set-up.

We don't need the Maxwell equations. They are just convenient in many places. Same with Newtonian gravity. We don't need it, but we don't construct buildings based on general relativity because that would be way more complicated than necessary.

The Standard Model (based on QFT) and General Relativity are the only fundamental laws of physics we have, everything else can in principle be derived from them.

Nugatory said:
I liked this quote from the link:
"John, when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical, they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
It strikes me that the Less Scientific the commentator, the More definite they tend to be in condemnation of scientific thought. You have to be in a position to 'understand' a theory to almost the same level as its inventor (and most of the earlier theories) if you want to make a valid comment about it. Only then can you have an idea about its limitations.
People are just not humble enough these days, about the body of knowledge that exists about the World around us. They would rather get their Science from Hollywood and scientific opinions from journalists.

Likes CWatters

1. What is the difference between outdated and essential theories in physics?

Outdated theories in physics refer to scientific explanations or models that have been disproven or replaced by newer and more accurate theories. Essential theories, on the other hand, are fundamental and widely accepted principles that form the basis of our understanding of the physical world.

2. Why do some theories become outdated in physics?

Theories become outdated in physics when new evidence or experimental results contradict them, or when new theories are developed that better explain the observed phenomena. This is a natural part of scientific progress and allows for a deeper understanding of the physical world.

3. Can outdated theories still hold some value in physics?

Yes, even though outdated theories may have been disproven, they can still hold value in terms of historical significance and providing a foundation for newer theories. They also serve as a reminder of the ever-evolving nature of science and the need for constant questioning and improvement.

4. How can we determine if a theory is essential or outdated?

Essential theories in physics are often supported by a large body of evidence and have stood the test of time. They are also widely accepted by the scientific community and have been extensively tested and validated through experiments. Outdated theories, on the other hand, may lack evidence or have been disproven by newer theories.

5. Is it possible for essential theories to become outdated in the future?

Yes, it is possible for essential theories to become outdated in the future as science and technology continue to advance. As new evidence and technologies emerge, our understanding of the physical world may change, leading to the development of new theories that supersede the old ones.