Superposition Gravataional Forces

In summary, the problem involves three point particles in an xy plane, with particle A at the origin and particle B at 150 degrees from the positive A reference on the x-axis. The distance between particles A and B is 0.5m, with masses of 6.00g and 12.0g respectively. The position of the third particle C is unknown but has a mass of 8.00g. The net force acting on particle A due to gravitational force is 2.77*10^-14 with an angle of -163.8 degrees. To find the x and y coordinates of particle C, the forces must be broken down into x and y components and solved using the Pythagorean theorem.
koab1mjr

Homework Statement

There are three point particles in fixed positions in an xy plane. Particle A lies at the origin and particle B lies 150 degrees from positive A (reference is positive x axis). The distance between Pa and Pb is .5m. The mass of Pa is 6.00g and the mass of Pb is 12.0g. The position of the third particle C is not known but the mass is 8.00g. The net forces acting on particle A (only gravataional) magnittude is 2.77*10-14 at an angle of -163.8 degrees. Find the x and y coordiantes of particle C

Homework Equations

Need the gravatational force equation Fg = Gm1m2/r2

The Attempt at a Solution

This problem is straight forward. Knowing that the force from particle B on particle A plus the coresponding force from particle C must equal the resulting force. So to solve I will break it up into x and y componenet and find the quadanents. So i am working along with the following

Fnet on particle A cos(-163.8) = Fgravity AB cos(150) + Fgravity ACCOS(theta)

So I subtract the first term on the right from the one on the left. And here is where things go to hell. I have some x component of a force. on the left. I have on the right two unknowns I do not know the distance between A and C, and I do not know x position of particle see which i want to know. I am stuck on how to proceed. I am sure this becomes a pythagorean thing but not sure. Any help much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you draw the forces in a co-ordinate system, you can see that the particle c lies in the fourth quadrant. Now take the X and Y components of F(AB), F(AC) and F(net)
X-component of F(net) = X-component of F(AB) +X-component of F(AC). Similarly for Y-components. From these you can find the angle made by F(AC) with X -axis, and the rest of the things.

Hello, it seems like you are trying to solve for the x and y coordinates of particle C using the forces acting on particle A. While this approach may work, it might be easier to use the superposition principle in this case.

The superposition principle states that the net force on a particle is equal to the vector sum of all the individual forces acting on it. In this case, we have three forces acting on particle A: the force from particle B, the force from particle C, and the resultant force. By using the superposition principle, we can set up the following equations:

Fnet = Fgravity AB + Fgravity AC

Fnet = 2.77*10^-14 at an angle of -163.8 degrees

Fgravity AB = Gm1m2/r^2

Fgravity AC = Gm1m3/r^2

Since we know the masses and the distance between particles A and B, we can solve for the magnitude of Fgravity AB. However, we don't know the distance between particles A and C or the angle at which particle C is located. To solve for these unknowns, we can use trigonometry and set up a system of equations.

Let's start by finding the x and y components of Fnet and Fgravity AB:

Fnetx = 2.77*10^-14 cos(-163.8) = -2.77*10^-14

Fnety = 2.77*10^-14 sin(-163.8) = -1.8*10^-14

Fgravity ABx = Fgravity AB cos(150) = 2.4*10^-14

Fgravity ABy = Fgravity AB sin(150) = 1.2*10^-14

Now, we can set up the following equations:

Fnetx = Fgravity ABx + Fgravity ACx

Fnety = Fgravity ABy + Fgravity ACy

We know the values for Fnetx and Fnety, and we can solve for Fgravity ACx and Fgravity ACy using the equations above. Once we have those values, we can use trigonometry to find the distance between particles A and C and the angle at which particle C is located. This will give us the x and y coordinates for particle C.

I hope this helps! Remember to always use the superposition principle when dealing with multiple forces acting on a

FAQ: Superposition Gravataional Forces

What is superposition gravitational force?

Superposition gravitational force is a concept in physics that describes the combined force of multiple gravitational fields acting on a single object. It states that the total force on an object is equal to the sum of the individual forces from each gravitational field.

How does superposition gravitational force work?

Superposition gravitational force works by combining the individual forces from each gravitational field. This is based on the principle of superposition, which states that the effects of multiple forces acting on an object can be determined by adding the individual effects of each force.

What is the difference between superposition gravitational force and gravitational attraction?

The main difference between superposition gravitational force and gravitational attraction is that superposition takes into account the combined effects of multiple gravitational fields, while gravitational attraction only considers the force between two objects. Superposition is a more complex concept that applies to systems with multiple objects and gravitational fields.

What are some real-life examples of superposition gravitational force?

One real-life example of superposition gravitational force is the motion of planets in our solar system. Each planet is affected by the gravitational fields of the other planets, and their combined effects determine the path of each planet's orbit. Another example is the tides on Earth, which are caused by the combined gravitational forces of the Moon and Sun.

Why is superposition gravitational force important in scientific research?

Superposition gravitational force is important in scientific research because it helps us understand the behavior of complex systems with multiple objects and gravitational fields. It allows us to make accurate predictions and calculations about the motion and interactions of these systems, which is crucial in fields such as astronomy, astrophysics, and cosmology.

Back