1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Superposition Gravataional Forces

1. Dec 4, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    There are three point particles in fixed positions in an xy plane. Particle A lies at the origin and particle B lies 150 degrees from positive A (reference is positive x axis). The distance between Pa and Pb is .5m. The mass of Pa is 6.00g and the mass of Pb is 12.0g. The position of the third particle C is not known but the mass is 8.00g. The net forces acting on particle A (only gravataional) magnittude is 2.77*10-14 at an angle of -163.8 degrees. Find the x and y coordiantes of particle C

2. Relevant equations

Need the gravatational force equation Fg = Gm1m2/r2

3. The attempt at a solution

This problem is straight forward. Knowing that the force from particle B on particle A plus the coresponding force from particle C must equal the resulting force. So to solve I will break it up into x and y componenet and find the quadanents. So i am working along with the following

Fnet on particle A cos(-163.8) = Fgravity AB cos(150) + Fgravity ACCOS(theta)

So I subtract the first term on the right from the one on the left. And here is where things go to hell. I have some x component of a force. on the left. I have on the right two unknowns I do not know the distance between A and C, and I do not know x position of particle see which i want to know. I am stuck on how to proceed. I am sure this becomes a pythagorean thing but not sure. Any help much appreciated.
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

If you draw the forces in a co-ordinate system, you can see that the particle c lies in the fourth quadrant. Now take the X and Y components of F(AB), F(AC) and F(net)
    X-component of F(net) = X-component of F(AB) +X-component of F(AC). Similarly for Y-components. From these you can find the angle made by F(AC) with X -axis, and the rest of the things.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?