Superposition of Forces: Finding Magnitude and Direction

Part B.atan(0.1 N/0.288 N) = 19.148 degress180 - 19.148 = 160.852 degressThis is correct, except the units should be degrees, not degress.
ecsx00

Homework Statement

http://imgur.com/fvNbE
Part a needs to have up to 2 significant figures.
For part b. you need to find theta or the degrees counter clockwise from +x direction.

Homework Equations

Coulombs Law:
F = 9(10^9) |q1q2|/r^2
r = distance in meters of two charges

The Attempt at a Solution

Part A.
F(Q on q1) = 9(10^9) N*m^2/C^2 * (2*10^-6 C)(4*10^-6 C) / (0.5m)^2
= 0.288 N

F(q2 on q1) = 9(10^9) N*m^2/C^2 * (2*10^-6)^2 / (0.60m)^2
= 0.1 N

|F| = sqroot( (0.288 N)^2 + (0.1 N)^2 ) = 0.304867 N *I know this is wrong because I tried to submit this answer and it was no go.*Part B.
atan(0.1 N/0.288 N) = 19.148 degress
180 - 19.148 = 160.852 degress
*For this part I figured I take 180 and subtract the degrees obtained to get the degrees counter clockwise of the +x direction.

Physics news on Phys.org
ecsx00 said:

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://imgur.com/fvNbE[/QUOTE]

The image is not embedded properly. Please correct that.

|F| = sqroot( (0.288 N)^2 + (0.1 N)^2 ) = 0.304867 N *I know this is wrong because I tried to submit this answer and it was no go.*

This is wrong, because the forces from two charges are not perpendicular to each other. You need to find x and y components of each force, from those, get the x and y components of the resultant force, and then compute its magnitude and direction.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is superposition of forces?

Superposition of forces is a principle in physics that states that the net force acting on an object is equal to the vector sum of all the individual forces acting on that object. This means that multiple forces acting on an object will combine to create a single, resultant force.

2. How do you find the magnitude of a superposition of forces?

To find the magnitude of a superposition of forces, you must first determine the individual magnitudes of each force that is acting on the object. Then, you can use the Pythagorean theorem to find the resultant magnitude by taking the square root of the sum of the squares of the individual magnitudes.

3. What is the direction of a superposition of forces?

The direction of a superposition of forces can be found by using trigonometry. You must first determine the individual angles of each force with respect to a reference axis, and then use the law of sines or cosines to find the resultant angle of the superposition of forces.

4. Can you have a negative superposition of forces?

Yes, you can have a negative superposition of forces. This occurs when two or more forces acting on an object have opposite directions, resulting in a net force that is less than the individual forces. In this case, the negative sign indicates that the forces are acting in opposite directions.

5. How is superposition of forces used in real-world applications?

Superposition of forces is used in many real-world applications, such as engineering and construction. By understanding how multiple forces combine to create a resultant force, engineers can design structures and machines that can withstand and distribute different forces effectively. Superposition of forces is also used in fields such as astrophysics and geology to understand the complex forces that act on celestial bodies and geological formations.