Superposition States: Is TDSE & TISE Satisfied? Check Here

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between general superpositions of wavefunctions and the time-dependent Schrödinger equation (TDSE). It is stated that if a general superposition satisfies the TDSE, then it also satisfies the TDSE. However, the superposition only satisfies the time-independent Schrödinger equation (TISE) if the energies are degenerate. The conversation ends with a confirmation of understanding and clarification on the meaning of TDSE.
dyn
Hi. I just want to check that I understand the following. If I have a general superposition of wavefunctions satisfying the TDSE then that superposition also satisfies the TDSE. But that superposition only satisfies the TISE if the energies are degenerate because the TISE is an eigenvalue equation.
Have I got it right ?
Thanks

Likes vanhees71
Physics news on Phys.org
dyn said:
Hi. I just want to check that I understand the following. If I have a general superposition of wavefunctions satisfying the TDSE then that superposition also satisfies the TDSE.
I can assure you are correct and I don't even know what TDSE means.

TDSE=time-dependent Schrödinger equation, and the statement in #1 is correct.

Likes dyn

What is superposition?

Superposition is a quantum mechanical principle that states that a physical system can exist in multiple states or positions simultaneously until it is observed or measured.

What are superposition states?

Superposition states refer to the multiple possible states that a physical system can be in at the same time, based on the principle of superposition.

What is TDSE and TISE?

TDSE (Time-Dependent Schrödinger Equation) and TISE (Time-Independent Schrödinger Equation) are mathematical equations used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of a quantum system over time.

How do we know if TDSE and TISE are satisfied?

In order for TDSE and TISE to be satisfied, they must accurately predict the behavior and states of a quantum system based on the initial conditions and external influences. This can be verified through experiments and measurements.

What is the significance of TDSE and TISE being satisfied?

If TDSE and TISE are satisfied, it means that the mathematical equations accurately describe the behavior of a quantum system, which is crucial in understanding and predicting the behavior of particles on a quantum level.