Superstring Theory problem. Infinitesimal supersymmetry transofrmations

In summary, the problem asks to compute the commutator of two infinitesimal supersymmetry transformations on xμ, given by δ1 and δ2. The commutator is defined as [δ1,δ2]xμ=δ1δ2xμ−δ2δ1xμ, and the task is to compute the second term. However, the formula for δ1δ2xμ is already given in the problem and it is straightforward to compute, leaving the focus on the computation of δ2δ1xμ.
B3NR4Y
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Let
\begin{equation}
\delta _{1} \, and \, \delta _{2}
\end{equation}
be two infinitesimal sypersymmetry transformations on xμ compute
\begin{equation}
[\delta _{1}, \delta _{2} ]x^{μ}.
\end{equation}

Homework Equations

The commutator is:
\begin{equation}
[\delta _{1}, \delta _{2} ]x^{μ}=\delta_{1}\delta_{2} x^{μ} - \delta_{2}\delta_{1} x^{μ}
\end{equation}

The Attempt at a Solution

I am able to get the first term, but the second term trips me up
\begin{equation}
\begin{split}
\delta_{1}\delta_{2} &= \delta_{1}( i\bar{\epsilon}^{A}_{2} \Gamma^{μ}\theta^{A})\\
& =i\bar{\epsilon}^{A}_{2} \Gamma^{μ}\delta_{2} \theta^{A}\\
& =i\bar{\epsilon}^{A}_{2} \Gamma^{μ}\theta^{A}
\end{split}
\end{equation}

Physics news on Phys.org
It would be helpful if you told us what book/lecture notes you are reading, so we could get an idea on what the heck you're trying to do.

I'm working from the book 'String Theory Demystified' apparently, answers are not given (or were torn out by the previous person to own it). It asked me to compute
\begin{equation}
[\delta_{1} , \delta{2}] x^{μ}
\end{equation}
It then told me that the commutator was [δ1,δ2]xμ=δ1δ2xμ−δ2δ1xμ
[itex][\delta_{1},\delta_{2}]x^{μ}=\delta_{1}\delta_{2}x^{μ}-\delta_{2}\delta_{1}x^{μ}[/itex]
I'm trying to compute the second term, but I can't seem to do it. I already computed the first term in the original post

1. What is Superstring Theory?

Superstring Theory is a theoretical framework in physics that attempts to explain the fundamental nature of particles and their interactions by treating them as tiny, vibrating strings rather than point-like particles.

2. What is the problem with Superstring Theory?

One of the major problems with Superstring Theory is that it is currently unable to make testable predictions. This is due to the fact that the theory requires 10 or 11 dimensions, which are not apparent in our everyday experience, making it difficult to experimentally verify.

3. What are infinitesimal supersymmetry transformations?

Infinitesimal supersymmetry transformations are mathematical operations that act on the fields in Superstring Theory, transforming them from one state to another. These transformations are characterized by the presence of both bosonic and fermionic fields, which are particles with integer and half-integer spin, respectively.

4. How do infinitesimal supersymmetry transformations relate to the problem of Superstring Theory?

Infinitesimal supersymmetry transformations are important in Superstring Theory because they help to solve the problem of fermion-boson symmetry. This is a fundamental symmetry that states that for every boson, there must be a corresponding fermion, and vice versa. Supersymmetry allows for the existence of both types of particles in a unified framework.

5. Are there any proposed solutions to the problem of Superstring Theory?

There are several proposed solutions to the problem of Superstring Theory, including the concept of extra dimensions and the idea of supersymmetry breaking. Some physicists also believe that a more advanced understanding of the theory may eventually lead to testable predictions and therefore provide a solution to the problem.