1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Studying Supplementary book for intro signal processing class

1. Jul 24, 2016 #1
    The required textbook for my intro signal processing class is "Signal Processing First"
    by James McClellan. So far I like the book quite a lot because the author does a good job to explain the concepts clearly. However I feel like the book doesn't provide enough practice problems. I just want to know if any EE major have recommendations for my need. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 26, 2016 #2
    This is the only post that doesn't have any response.
    I just want to put something here to make myself feel better.
    Thank you for checking this out. :)

4. Jul 27, 2016 #3

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

By sig proc I assume you mean DSP (not statistical/adaptive signal processing). I'm not personally familiar with any intro level books, and maybe no one else here is either. I learned from "DSP" by Oppenheim and Schafer, which is advanced and one I wouldn't recommend to a beginner. Stearns coauthored a nice book on adaptive filtering with Bernie Widrow; his DSP book gets good reader reviews on Amazon, so you might check that one out.

5. Jul 27, 2016 #4
    The OP could also mean, or mean to include, analog signal processing and theory of continuous time systems and signals. In that case Schaum's Outline of Signals and Systems is a good book for reference and to work through.

6. Jul 28, 2016 #5
    I actually got the book https://www.amazon.com/Signals-Syst...sr=8-1&keywords=oppenheim+signals+and+systems by Oppenheim. I am not so sure if marcusl means the same book. Many people say he is an authority in that area and his books are really good but I personally found the one I got pretty dry. In contrast, the book by McClellan makes the concepts easier to digest. So far I have gone through the first 4 chapters and I am learning "sampling and aliasing" right now. (hopefully that can help you understand what my level is) What I am really asking is that I want to find a book like https://www.amazon.com/000-Solved-P...697217&sr=8-2&keywords=circuit+solved+problem for an intro "Signal and System" class. I want to have more practice problems to help me understand the concepts. Most of the problems provided by McClellan's book are just manipulations of trig and exponential eqs, which don't really help me to understand the concepts. I took a look at the book mentioned by bill. I think it is the closest to what I want. Finally, I want to ask marcusl about how he(or she?) read technical books like Oppenheim. I feel like I should read Oppenheim's book like chemistry. Its style is so much different than all the math and basic circuit books I used. I could just work through the problems first and then go back to the content. Working the problems helps me to understand those "processes" introduced in the books without reading the content. But for books like Oppenheim, I feel like I need to rephrase and memorize the content before actually working through the problems. Any opinion is welcome!

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2017
  7. Jul 28, 2016 #6
    In that case, the Schaum's Outline I mentioned above is the closest thing I know. Looking at the table of contents of Oppenheim, the material the Schaum's guide covers is closer than I thought to what you're looking for. It only has 571 fully solved problems, but that's 571 more than any other signals and systems textbook I've seen. The rest of the book is typical Schaum's guide style explanation of concepts and methods.

https://www.amazon.com/Schaums-Outline-Signals-Systems-Outlines/dp/0071829466

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted