Surface area of a cylinder question

In summary, the conversation discusses constructing a cylindrical space station with specific parameters and determining the correct height for the station based on its surface area of 800 m^2. After considering the conversion of 1 km^2 to 1,000,000 m^2, it is determined that the height should be 254.66 m, rather than the initial calculation of 0.318 m. The conversation also touches on the confusion caused by studying for a different subject.
Asphyxiated

Homework Statement

This is actually for my Physics 211 class but the question is very simple. We were asked to construct a cylindrical space station to specific parameters which are not important to the question. I know that my cylinder has a radius of 399.97m and a rotational period of 40.12 seconds to fit the given requirements. It also states that the space station must have a surface area equal to .8 km^2 or 800 m^2. The surface area of a cylinder (minus the top and the bottom which we are to ignore) is:

[tex] 2 \pi r h = A [/tex]

That is:

[tex] 2 \pi (399.97) h = 800 m^{2} [/tex]

[tex] h = \frac {800 m^{2}}{2 \pi (399.97)} = .318 m [/tex]

which is only about a foot... Am I looking at this wrong is is the height seriously suppose to be .318 meters? Is the 800 suppose to be squared as well by chance? lol cause if it was i get a height of 254.66 m which sounds a whole lot better to me.

Please note that I know that the other numbers I am using are 100% correct, i have confirmed the with my teacher, i just never thought to ask about the height but it turns out I squared 800 before and got the more reasonable (to me) 254.66 meters... Now that I am writing the lab it seems that it should just be 800 and now the height is only .318m! lol, let me know what you think.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Asphyxiated: Remember 1km = 1000 m, therefore 1 km^2 = 1 square km
1 km^2 = 1000 m x 1000 m

The SA of the station is then 0.8 km^2 = 800000 sq. m

Asphyxiated said:
Is the 800 suppose to be squared as well by chance?

Yep :wink:

1km2=10002m2=1,000,000m2

edit: sorry I mistakenly wrote 800,000 when I was meant to write [itex]800^2=640,000[/itex]

Last edited:
Ok good lol, I am not sure why I was second guessing myself the first time. Thanks for clearing that issue up. I think studying for my calc II finals have thrown me off on my physics stuff.

Thanks much though!

1. What is the formula for finding the surface area of a cylinder?

The formula for finding the surface area of a cylinder is 2πr² + 2πrh, where r is the radius of the base and h is the height of the cylinder.

2. How do you calculate the surface area of a cylinder?

To calculate the surface area of a cylinder, you need to find the area of the two circular bases and the area of the curved surface. You can use the formula 2πr² + 2πrh to find the total surface area.

3. Can the surface area of a cylinder be negative?

No, the surface area of a cylinder cannot be negative. The surface area represents the total area of the cylinder, which is always a positive value.

4. What units should be used when measuring the surface area of a cylinder?

The surface area of a cylinder is typically measured in square units, such as square inches, square centimeters, or square meters.

5. How is the surface area of a cylinder related to its volume?

The surface area of a cylinder and its volume are related, but they represent different measurements. The surface area is the total area of the cylinder's exterior, while the volume is the amount of space inside the cylinder. Both measurements are important in understanding the overall size and shape of a cylinder.