1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Surface area of a rotated curve

1. Nov 28, 2006 #1
    Here's the question:
    Find the area of the surface obtained by rotating the curve

[​IMG]

from x=0 to x=9 about the x-axis.

I'm supposed to parametrize the curve, using rcos(theta) as x and rsin(theta) as y, at least I think I am.

That would give f(x,y) = 3rcos^3(theta),rsin(theta)

Then find the partial derivatives with respect to r and theta and find their cross product. Then find the magnitude of the cross product and integrate with limits int[0-2pi] int[0-9].

Is this right? I can't find any information on the internet to do it this way and the book isn't much help either.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2006 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No. That is a circle in the xy-plane. Your curve, in the xy-plane, is y= 3x3, not at all a circle. When you "rotate" around the x-axis, every point, with coordinates (x0, y) in the xy-plane, traces out a circle of points in the (x0, y, z) plane.
    Since the radius of the circle is y= 3x^3, that would have parametric equations [itex]x= x_0, y= 3x_0^3cos(\theta ), z= 3x_0^3 sin(\theta)[/itex].

Using the parametric equations I gave, with x0 and [itex]\theta[/itex] as parameters, that should work. However, it looks awfully complicated to me. The area of the curved surface of a cylinder with radius y and height ds is [itex]2\pi y ds[/itex]. For y= 3x3,
    [tex]ds= \sqrt{1+ (9x^2)^2}dx= \sqrt{1+ 81x^4}dx[/tex].
    The integral for surface area would be given by
    [tex]2\pi \int_0^9(3x^3)\sqrt{1+81x^4}dx[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?