1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Surface area of x = ln(y) - y^2/8 from 1 to e

1. Mar 4, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the area of the surface obtained from rotating the curve x = ln(y) - y^2/8 on [1,e] about the y-axis.

2. Relevant equations
    SA = [itex]\int 2\pi*(f(x))*\sqrt{1+[f'(x)]^2}dx[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    SA = [itex]\int 2\pi*(ln(y) - \frac{y^2}{8}))*\sqrt{1+\frac{9}{16*y^2}}dy[/itex] from 1 to e

I don't know how to solve this integral, which makes me thing I set it up wron.g

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't think you did the sqrt(1+f'(y)^2) part right. Can you show how you worked that out?

4. Mar 4, 2012 #3
    That was the equation that my prof. gave me, lol

5. Mar 4, 2012 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm saying I don't think you simplified 1+f'(y)^2 correctly when f(y)=ln(y)-y^2/8. You should get something inside the square root that becomes a perfect square. I'm asking how you got that part to be 1+9/(16y^2)? I don't think that's right.

6. Mar 4, 2012 #5
    oh ok. I took the derivative of [itex]x = lny - \frac{y^2}{8}[/itex] and got

[itex]x = \frac{1}{y} - \frac{1}{4y}[/itex] and squared it to get

[itex]\frac{1}{y^2} - \frac{1}{2y^2} + \frac{1}{16y^2}[/itex] which is

[itex]\frac{16}{16y^2} - \frac{8}{16y^2} + \frac{1}{16y^2}[/itex] which is

[itex]\frac{9}{16y^2}[/itex]

7. Mar 4, 2012 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The derivative of that is [itex]\frac{1}{y}-\frac{y}{4}[/itex]. That's where you are starting to go wrong.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook