Surface area of x = ln(y) - y^2/8 from 1 to e

In summary, the problem asks to find the surface area obtained from rotating the curve x = ln(y) - y^2/8 on [1,e] about the y-axis. The formula for surface area is SA = \int 2\pi*(f(x))*\sqrt{1+[f'(x)]^2}dx. The attempt at a solution involved setting up the integral as SA = \int 2\pi*(ln(y) - \frac{y^2}{8}))*\sqrt{1+\frac{9}{16*y^2}}dy from 1 to e, but the simplification of the square root was not correct. The derivative of x = ln(y) - y^2/
NWeid1

Homework Statement

Find the area of the surface obtained from rotating the curve x = ln(y) - y^2/8 on [1,e] about the y-axis.

Homework Equations

SA = [itex]\int 2\pi*(f(x))*\sqrt{1+[f'(x)]^2}dx[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

SA = [itex]\int 2\pi*(ln(y) - \frac{y^2}{8}))*\sqrt{1+\frac{9}{16*y^2}}dy[/itex] from 1 to e

I don't know how to solve this integral, which makes me thing I set it up wron.g

Physics news on Phys.org
NWeid1 said:

Homework Statement

Find the area of the surface obtained from rotating the curve x = ln(y) - y^2/8 on [1,e] about the y-axis.

Homework Equations

SA = [itex]\int 2\pi*(f(x))*\sqrt{1+[f'(x)]^2}dx[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

SA = [itex]\int 2\pi*(ln(y) - \frac{y^2}{8}))*\sqrt{1+\frac{9}{16*y^2}}dy[/itex] from 1 to e

I don't know how to solve this integral, which makes me thing I set it up wron.g

I don't think you did the sqrt(1+f'(y)^2) part right. Can you show how you worked that out?

That was the equation that my prof. gave me, lol

NWeid1 said:
That was the equation that my prof. gave me, lol

I'm saying I don't think you simplified 1+f'(y)^2 correctly when f(y)=ln(y)-y^2/8. You should get something inside the square root that becomes a perfect square. I'm asking how you got that part to be 1+9/(16y^2)? I don't think that's right.

oh ok. I took the derivative of [itex]x = lny - \frac{y^2}{8}[/itex] and got

[itex]x = \frac{1}{y} - \frac{1}{4y}[/itex] and squared it to get

[itex]\frac{1}{y^2} - \frac{1}{2y^2} + \frac{1}{16y^2}[/itex] which is

[itex]\frac{16}{16y^2} - \frac{8}{16y^2} + \frac{1}{16y^2}[/itex] which is

[itex]\frac{9}{16y^2}[/itex]

NWeid1 said:
oh ok. I took the derivative of [itex]x = lny - \frac{y^2}{8}[/itex] and got

[itex]x = \frac{1}{y} - \frac{1}{4y}[/itex] and squared it to get

[itex]\frac{1}{y^2} - \frac{1}{2y^2} + \frac{1}{16y^2}[/itex] which is

[itex]\frac{16}{16y^2} - \frac{8}{16y^2} + \frac{1}{16y^2}[/itex] which is

[itex]\frac{9}{16y^2}[/itex]

The derivative of that is [itex]\frac{1}{y}-\frac{y}{4}[/itex]. That's where you are starting to go wrong.

FAQ: Surface area of x = ln(y) - y^2/8 from 1 to e

What is the equation for surface area of x = ln(y) - y^2/8 from 1 to e?

The equation for surface area of x = ln(y) - y^2/8 from 1 to e is:
SA = ∫(ln(y) - y^2/8)√(1 + (ln'(y) - y/4)^2)dy
where ln'(y) represents the derivative of ln(y).

How do you calculate the surface area of x = ln(y) - y^2/8 from 1 to e?

To calculate the surface area of x = ln(y) - y^2/8 from 1 to e, you can use the formula:
SA = ∫(ln(y) - y^2/8)√(1 + (ln'(y) - y/4)^2)dy
where ∫ represents the integral of the function and ln'(y) represents the derivative of ln(y). You will need to evaluate the integral from 1 to e to find the total surface area.

What is the significance of the surface area of x = ln(y) - y^2/8 from 1 to e?

The surface area of x = ln(y) - y^2/8 from 1 to e represents the area of the surface created when the function ln(y) - y^2/8 is rotated around the x-axis. This has practical applications in physics and engineering, as well as in understanding mathematical concepts such as integration and volume.

How does changing the limits of integration affect the surface area of x = ln(y) - y^2/8?

Changing the limits of integration will affect the surface area of x = ln(y) - y^2/8, as it will change the range of values for which the function is being rotated around the x-axis. Different limits will result in different surface areas, as the function will be rotated over a different range of values.

Do the values of x and y affect the surface area of x = ln(y) - y^2/8?

Yes, the values of x and y will affect the surface area of x = ln(y) - y^2/8. This is because changing the values of x and y will change the shape of the function and therefore, the surface created when it is rotated around the x-axis. The surface area will also change depending on the range of values for x and y that are used in the calculation.

Back