1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Surface Integral of a Cylinder!

1. Nov 25, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let S denote the closed cylinder with bottom given by z=0, top given by z=4, and lateral surface given by the equation x^2 + y^2 = 9. Orient S with outward normals. Determine the indicated scalar and vector surface integral to ∫∫ x^2 i dS (I have tried to solve this problem, but i dont think i have done it correct, since i get the answer 0. Please if anybody can help, this task is very importaint to get right)

2. Relevant equations
    [itex]\int\int[/itex]x f dS=[itex]\int\int[/itex] D f(X(s,t))[itex]||[/itex]Ts[itex]\times[/itex]Tt[itex]||[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Since this is a cylinder, (i think) we can slice it in to 3 parts,
    S1 (lateral cylindrical surface), S2 (bottom disk) and S3 (top disk).
    I parametrized the three smooth pieces as follows:
    S1 (lateral cylindrical surface): x=3Cos(t), y=3Sin(t), z=t With bouderies 0[itex]\leq[/itex]s[itex]\leq[/itex]2π and 0[itex]\leq[/itex]t[itex]\leq[/itex]4

S2 (bottom disk): x=sCos(t), y=sSin(t), z=0. With bounderies 0[itex]\leq[/itex]s[itex]\leq[/itex]3 and 0[itex]\leq[/itex]t[itex]\leq[/itex]2π

S3 (top disk): x=sCos(t), y=sSin(t), z=4. With bounderies 0[itex]\leq[/itex]s[itex]\leq[/itex]3 and 0[itex]\leq[/itex]t[itex]\leq[/itex]2π

Then I found the ||Ts[itex]\times[/itex]Tt[itex]||[/itex] for each S, that is
    S1||Ts[itex]\times[/itex]Tt[itex]||[/itex] =(3Cos(s), -3Sins,0)

S2||Ts[itex]\times[/itex]Tt[itex]||[/itex] =(0,0,sCos^2 (t)+sSin^2 (t))

S3||Ts[itex]\times[/itex]Tt[itex]||[/itex] =(0,0,sCos^2 (t)+sSin^2 (t))

Then I thought i could set in all that is in the parametrizised in the x^2 positision, dotted with the ||Ts[itex]\times[/itex]Tt[itex]||[/itex].
    S2 and S3 will then be 0 ( since ||Ts[itex]\times[/itex]Tt[itex]||[/itex] have both 0 in the x position)

The last one S1
    [itex]\int\int[/itex] X^2 dS=[itex]\int\int[/itex] (3^2 Cos^2 (s), 0, 0) ×(3Cos(s),3Sin(s),0) ds dt (boundaries 0 and 4(dt), 0 and 2π(ds))

=∫∫12 Cos^3 (s) dsdt (boundaries 0 and 4(dt), 0 and 2π(ds))

=12∫∫ Cos^3 (s) dsdt (boundaries 0 and 4(dt), 0 and 2π(ds))

=12∫ -3Sin(s)Cos^2 (s) dt (input 0 and 2π( for s)) (boundaries 0 and 4(dt)

This gives =12∫ dt wich gives 0 <-- and i dont think this is the right answer. If anybody can help

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Was this a typo? You should have x= 3Cos(s), y= 3sin(s), not "t".

It is a bit confusing to use the same letters as before for the parameters, but change their meaning.

Okay, so the "t" above was a typo. This is correct for the lateral surface.

S2||Ts[itex]\times[/itex]Tt[itex]||[/itex] =(0,0,sCos^2 (t)+sSin^2 (t))[/quote]
    You do know that [itex]s cos^2(t)+ s sin^2(t)= s[/itex], right? :tongue:

Actually, 0 is correct! This integral measures the flow of the vector quantity [itex]x^2[/itex]i into the cyinder. Over the top and bottom, which are parallel to the xy-plane, there is no flow through the surface. For the lateral surrface, the flow into the cylinder on the x< 0 side is cancelled by flow out of the cylinder on the x> 0 side.

4. Nov 25, 2012 #3
    I Thank Thee!
    I did find though that I had some mistakes in my calculations:

=∫∫12 Cos^3 (s) dsdt (boundaries 0 and 4(dt), 0 and 2π(ds))
    is ∫12 (1/12(9sin(s)+sin(3s)) dt =∫(9sin(s)+sin(3s))dt instead of =12∫ -3Sin(s)Cos^2 (s) dt which I wrote at the beginning.
    But =∫(9sin(s)+sin(3s))dt ( with boundaries 0 to 2π) also gives the answer 0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook