Surface Integral of a Cylinder

In summary: So there is two mistakes. One is: 1)that I used the wrong x^2 vector, and the other 2)is that I thought that I could just take the x^2 vector and dot it with the ||Ts\timesTt|| and get the correct vector to integrate. But that is not correct. I have to take the x vector and dot it with the (||Ts\timesTt||) X (∂x/∂s) X (∂x/∂t) to get the correct vector to integrate.
Syrena

Homework Statement

Let S denote the closed cylinder with bottom given by z=0, top given by z=4, and lateral surface given by the equation x^2 + y^2 = 9. Orient S with outward normals. Determine the indicated scalar and vector surface integral to ∫∫ x^2 i dS (I have tried to solve this problem, but i don't think i have done it correct, since i get the answer 0. Please if anybody can help, this task is very importaint to get right)

Homework Equations

[itex]\int\int[/itex]x f dS=[itex]\int\int[/itex] D f(X(s,t))[itex]||[/itex]Ts[itex]\times[/itex]Tt[itex]||[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Since this is a cylinder, (i think) we can slice it into 3 parts,
S1 (lateral cylindrical surface), S2 (bottom disk) and S3 (top disk).
I parametrized the three smooth pieces as follows:
S1 (lateral cylindrical surface): x=3Cos(t), y=3Sin(t), z=t With bouderies 0[itex]\leq[/itex]s[itex]\leq[/itex]2π and 0[itex]\leq[/itex]t[itex]\leq[/itex]4

S2 (bottom disk): x=sCos(t), y=sSin(t), z=0. With bounderies 0[itex]\leq[/itex]s[itex]\leq[/itex]3 and 0[itex]\leq[/itex]t[itex]\leq[/itex]2π

S3 (top disk): x=sCos(t), y=sSin(t), z=4. With bounderies 0[itex]\leq[/itex]s[itex]\leq[/itex]3 and 0[itex]\leq[/itex]t[itex]\leq[/itex]2π

Then I found the ||Ts[itex]\times[/itex]Tt[itex]||[/itex] for each S, that is
S1||Ts[itex]\times[/itex]Tt[itex]||[/itex] =(3Cos(s), -3Sins,0)

S2||Ts[itex]\times[/itex]Tt[itex]||[/itex] =(0,0,sCos^2 (t)+sSin^2 (t))

S3||Ts[itex]\times[/itex]Tt[itex]||[/itex] =(0,0,sCos^2 (t)+sSin^2 (t))

Then I thought i could set in all that is in the parametrizised in the x^2 positision, dotted with the ||Ts[itex]\times[/itex]Tt[itex]||[/itex].
S2 and S3 will then be 0 ( since ||Ts[itex]\times[/itex]Tt[itex]||[/itex] have both 0 in the x position)

The last one S1
[itex]\int\int[/itex] X^2 dS=[itex]\int\int[/itex] (3^2 Cos^2 (s), 0, 0) ×(3Cos(s),3Sin(s),0) ds dt (boundaries 0 and 4(dt), 0 and 2π(ds))

=∫∫12 Cos^3 (s) dsdt (boundaries 0 and 4(dt), 0 and 2π(ds))

=12∫∫ Cos^3 (s) dsdt (boundaries 0 and 4(dt), 0 and 2π(ds))

=12∫ -3Sin(s)Cos^2 (s) dt (input 0 and 2π( for s)) (boundaries 0 and 4(dt)

This gives =12∫ dt which gives 0 <-- and i don't think this is the right answer. If anybody can help

Physics news on Phys.org
Syrena said:

Homework Statement

Let S denote the closed cylinder with bottom given by z=0, top given by z=4, and lateral surface given by the equation x^2 + y^2 = 9. Orient S with outward normals. Determine the indicated scalar and vector surface integral to ∫∫ x^2 i dS (I have tried to solve this problem, but i don't think i have done it correct, since i get the answer 0. Please if anybody can help, this task is very importaint to get right)

Homework Equations

[itex]\int\int[/itex]x f dS=[itex]\int\int[/itex] D f(X(s,t))[itex]||[/itex]Ts[itex]\times[/itex]Tt[itex]||[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Since this is a cylinder, (i think) we can slice it into 3 parts,
S1 (lateral cylindrical surface), S2 (bottom disk) and S3 (top disk).
I parametrized the three smooth pieces as follows:
S1 (lateral cylindrical surface): x=3Cos(t), y=3Sin(t), z=t With bouderies 0[itex]\leq[/itex]s[itex]\leq[/itex]2π and 0[itex]\leq[/itex]t[itex]\leq[/itex]4
Was this a typo? You should have x= 3Cos(s), y= 3sin(s), not "t".

S2 (bottom disk): x=sCos(t), y=sSin(t), z=0. With bounderies 0[itex]\leq[/itex]s[itex]\leq[/itex]3 and 0[itex]\leq[/itex]t[itex]\leq[/itex]2π
It is a bit confusing to use the same letters as before for the parameters, but change their meaning.

S3 (top disk): x=sCos(t), y=sSin(t), z=4. With bounderies 0[itex]\leq[/itex]s[itex]\leq[/itex]3 and 0[itex]\leq[/itex]t[itex]\leq[/itex]2π

Then I found the ||Ts[itex]\times[/itex]Tt[itex]||[/itex] for each S, that is
S1||Ts[itex]\times[/itex]Tt[itex]||[/itex] =(3Cos(s), -3Sins,0)
Okay, so the "t" above was a typo. This is correct for the lateral surface.

S2||Ts[itex]\times[/itex]Tt[itex]||[/itex] =(0,0,sCos^2 (t)+sSin^2 (t))[/quote]
You do know that [itex]s cos^2(t)+ s sin^2(t)= s[/itex], right? :tongue:

S3||Ts[itex]\times[/itex]Tt[itex]||[/itex] =(0,0,sCos^2 (t)+sSin^2 (t))

Then I thought i could set in all that is in the parametrizised in the x^2 positision, dotted with the ||Ts[itex]\times[/itex]Tt[itex]||[/itex].
S2 and S3 will then be 0 ( since ||Ts[itex]\times[/itex]Tt[itex]||[/itex] have both 0 in the x position)
I'm not sure what you mean by the "x^2" position.

For the lateral sides, [itex]x^2= (3 cos(s))^2= 9cos^2(t)[/itex] and idS itex is 3cos(s)ds dt so the integral is [itex]27\int\int cos^3(s)dsdt[/itex]

The last one S1
[itex]\int\int[/itex] X^2 dS=[itex]\int\int[/itex] (3^2 Cos^2 (s), 0, 0) ×(3Cos(s),3Sin(s),0) ds dt (boundaries 0 and 4(dt), 0 and 2π(ds))

=12∫∫ Cos^3 (s) dsdt (boundaries 0 and 4(dt), 0 and 2π(ds))

=12∫ -3Sin(s)Cos^2 (s) dt (input 0 and 2π( for s)) (boundaries 0 and 4(dt)

This gives =12∫ dt which gives 0 <-- and i don't think this is the right answer. If anybody can help

Actually, 0 is correct! This integral measures the flow of the vector quantity [itex]x^2[/itex]i into the cyinder. Over the top and bottom, which are parallel to the xy-plane, there is no flow through the surface. For the lateral surrface, the flow into the cylinder on the x< 0 side is canceled by flow out of the cylinder on the x> 0 side.

HallsofIvy said:
Actually, 0 is correct! This integral measures the flow of the vector quantity [itex]x^2[/itex]i into the cyinder. Over the top and bottom, which are parallel to the xy-plane, there is no flow through the surface. For the lateral surrface, the flow into the cylinder on the x< 0 side is canceled by flow out of the cylinder on the x> 0 side.

I Thank Thee!
I did find though that I had some mistakes in my calculations:

is ∫12 (1/12(9sin(s)+sin(3s)) dt =∫(9sin(s)+sin(3s))dt instead of =12∫ -3Sin(s)Cos^2 (s) dt which I wrote at the beginning.
But =∫(9sin(s)+sin(3s))dt ( with boundaries 0 to 2π) also gives the answer 0.

1. What is the formula for calculating the surface integral of a cylinder?

The formula for calculating the surface integral of a cylinder is S = 2πrh + 2πr2, where r is the radius of the base and h is the height of the cylinder.

2. How does the surface integral of a cylinder differ from that of a cone or sphere?

The surface integral of a cylinder differs from that of a cone or sphere in that it only considers the curved surface of the cylinder, whereas the surface integral of a cone or sphere includes both the curved surface and the base.

3. What is the significance of the surface integral of a cylinder in real-world applications?

The surface integral of a cylinder is significant in real-world applications as it allows us to calculate the total surface area of a cylinder, which is useful in fields such as engineering, architecture, and physics.

4. How is the surface integral of a cylinder related to its volume?

The surface integral of a cylinder is related to its volume through the formula V = πr2h, where r is the radius of the base and h is the height of the cylinder. This is because the integral of the surface area of the cylinder is used to calculate its volume.

5. Can the surface integral of a cylinder be negative?

No, the surface integral of a cylinder cannot be negative as it represents the total surface area of the cylinder, which is always a positive value. A negative value would not make sense in this context.