1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Surface integral problem - don't need to use Jacobian for polar?

1. Dec 6, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Evaluate the surface integral.
    ∫∫S x^2*z^2 dS
    S is the part of the cone z^2 = x^2 + y^2 that lies between the planes z = 1 and z = 3.

2. Relevant equations

[itex]\int \int _{S}F dS = \int \int _D F(r(u,v))|r_u\times r_v|dA[/itex]
    [itex]x=rcos(\theta)[/itex]
    [itex]y=rsin(\theta)[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    First, I parametrized the cone.
    [itex]z^2=x^2+y^2\Rightarrow z=\sqrt{x^2+y^2} \Rightarrow z=r[/itex]
    Therefore, the cone's vector equation should be
    [itex]{\bf R}(r,\theta)=rcos(\theta){\bf i}+rsin(\theta){\bf j}+r{\bf k}[/itex]
    [itex]{\bf R}_r=cos(\theta){\bf i}+sin(\theta){\bf j}+{\bf k}[/itex]
    [itex]{\bf R}_\theta=-rsin(\theta){\bf i}+rcos(\theta){\bf j}[/itex]
    [itex]|{\bf R}_r \times {\bf R}_\theta| = r\sqrt{2}[/itex]
    [itex]\int_0^{2\pi}\int_1 ^3 {(rcos(\theta))^2(r)^2(r\sqrt{2})}drd\theta=\frac{364\sqrt{2}\pi}{3}[/itex]

Now, this is the right answer as per the book. My question is, when we go from [itex]dA[/itex] to [itex]drd\theta[/itex], why don't we use the Jacobian for polar coordinates, r? Had we included the Jacobian, the degree of r in the final double integral would have been six instead of five, giving us a completely different answer. My confusion here: Why is [itex]dA[/itex] not equal to [itex]rdrd\theta[/itex]?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2011 #2
    Sorry, the final step of the integration process didn't come out right. Here it is:

[itex]\int_0^{2\pi}\int_1 ^3 {(rcos(\theta))^2(r)^2(r\sqrt{2})}drd\theta=\frac{364\sqrt{2}\pi}{3}[/itex]

4. Dec 6, 2011 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The |R_r x R_theta| factor already includes the r in dA. If the surface were just the x-y plane and they wanted you to find area by integrating 1. Think about what that factor would be.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  5. Dec 7, 2011 #4
    I don't quite understand. I don't know if it's because of the totally methodical and unintuitive way that our professor has taught us (i.e., simply equating [itex]dA[/itex] to [itex]rdrd\theta[/itex] in all scenarios) or because of my own negligence. Does the [itex]|{\bf R}_r\times{\bf R}_\theta|[/itex] factor always take care of the Jacobian for surface integrals, then? In something akin to spherical coordinate integrals (e.g., if my vector [itex]{/bf R}[/itex] wer

6. Dec 7, 2011 #5
    God, I'm bad at this whole Latex + forum thing. I'm so sorry about the double posts... I think I accidentally hit submit or something.

I don't quite understand. I don't know if it's because of the totally methodical and unintuitive way that our professor has taught us (i.e., simply equating [itex]dA[/itex] to [itex]rdrd\theta[/itex] in all scenarios) or because of my own negligence. Does the [itex]|{\bf R}_r\times{\bf R}_\theta|[/itex] factor always take care of the Jacobian for surface integrals, then? In something akin to spherical coordinate integrals, would that factor take care of the whole [itex]\rho^2sin(\phi)[/itex] factor for me?

7. Dec 7, 2011 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

r and theta here are really just a convenient parametrization of the surface. [itex]dS=|r_u\times r_v| du dv[/itex]. I wouldn't substitute dA for du dv, if it's going to confuse you.

8. Dec 7, 2011 #7
    I see, that makes sense. Are there any situations in which I would ever have to actually worry about a Jacobian factor when doing a surface integral similar to the one I've described above? Or is it something I should only worry about when explicitly executing coordinate transforms?

9. Dec 7, 2011 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You don't have to worry about it if you use that formula. Like I said, the 'jacobian' part is the [itex]|r_u\times r_v|[/itex] factor.

10. Dec 7, 2011 #9
    Got it. Thanks very much, Dick.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook