1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Surface Integrals in Polar Coordinates

1. Nov 29, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the area cut from the surface z = 2xy by the cylinder x^2 + y^2 = 6.
    [Hint: Set up the integral using rectangular coodinates, then switch to polar coordinates.]

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]
    A = \iint \sqrt{{z_x}^2+{z_y}^2+1}dxdy = \iint \sqrt{{r^2}+{r^2}{z_r}^2+{r^2}{z_\theta}^2} dr d\theta
    [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    [tex]

\begin{gather*}
    z_x = 2y\\
    z_y = 2x\\
    \\
    A = 4\int_{0}^{\sqrt{6}} \int_{0}^{\sqrt{y^2-6}} \sqrt{4{y^2}+4{x^2}+1} dx dy\\\\
    A = 4\int_{0}^{\sqrt{6}} \int_{0}^{\sqrt{y^2-6}} \sqrt{4{r^2}+1} dx dy\\\\
    A = \int_{0}^{2\pi} \int_{0}^{\sqrt{6}} \sqrt{4{r^2}+1} dr\frac{\partial x}{\partial r} d\theta \frac{\partial y}{\partial\theta} = \int_{0}^{2\pi} \int_{0}^{\sqrt{6}} r {\cos}^2\theta \sqrt{4{r^2}+1} dr d\theta\\\\
    \end{gather*}
    [/tex]

From there, I can work the problem down, but I'm not sure if my conversion from dx -> dr, or dy -> d theta is even a valid operation. I don't see a ready way to do this problem if I start straight in with polar (cylindrical) coordinates, since the algebra quickly becomes very complex. I guess what I need to know, is how do I appropriately convert dx*dy -> dr*dtheta?

Any help appreciated!

Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The element of area dx*dy is r*dr*dtheta in polar coordinates. In a problem like this, you don't try to derive it. You just remember it and substitute.

4. Nov 29, 2009 #3
    D'oh! Thanks for pointing that out :P

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook