Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Surface parametrization

1. Oct 18, 2005 #1
    My problem is finding a surface parametrization of the surface x^2-y^2=1, where x>0, -1<=y<=1 and 0<=z<=1.

I know that x and y in x^2-y^2=1, can be represented as cosh(u) and sinh(u), but I'm not sure what to do for the z part. Any quick help?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2005 #2

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Did you intend your equation not to contain any z terms?

4. Oct 19, 2005 #3
    Should it contain a z component? I was assuming it should because it is a surface parametrization but maybe not.

5. Oct 19, 2005 #4

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Does a line on the XY plane contain a y component? Unless it's a vertical line, it does.

6. Oct 19, 2005 #5

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

A parametrization of a surface, a 2 dimensional figure, necessarily involves 2 parameters. Since there is no "z" in your equations, you might consider taking z itself as a parameter or say z= v where v is a parameter, then look for a parametrization of the hyperbola x2- y[/sup]2[/sup]. Since it is a hyperbola, the hyperbolic functions leap to mind!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook