1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Surface parametrization

1. Oct 18, 2005 #1
    My problem is finding a surface parametrization of the surface x^2-y^2=1, where x>0, -1<=y<=1 and 0<=z<=1.

I know that x and y in x^2-y^2=1, can be represented as cosh(u) and sinh(u), but I'm not sure what to do for the z part. Any quick help?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2005 #2

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Did you intend your equation not to contain any z terms?

4. Oct 19, 2005 #3
    Should it contain a z component? I was assuming it should because it is a surface parametrization but maybe not.

5. Oct 19, 2005 #4

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Does a line on the XY plane contain a y component? Unless it's a vertical line, it does.

6. Oct 19, 2005 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

A parametrization of a surface, a 2 dimensional figure, necessarily involves 2 parameters. Since there is no "z" in your equations, you might consider taking z itself as a parameter or say z= v where v is a parameter, then look for a parametrization of the hyperbola x2- y[/sup]2[/sup]. Since it is a hyperbola, the hyperbolic functions leap to mind!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?