What Surface Is Defined by Distances to the X-Axis and YZ-Plane?

• Thread starter themadhatter1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Surface
In summary: This is a cone with its vertex at (0,0,0) and its axis along the x-axis. In summary, the equation for the surface consisting of all points p for which the distance from P to the x-axis is twice the distance from P to the yz-plane is x^2-4y^2-4z^2=0, representing a cone with its vertex at (0,0,0) and its axis along the x-axis.
themadhatter1

Homework Statement

Find an equation for the surface consisting of all points p for which the distance from P to the x-axis is twice the distance from P to the yz-plane. Identify the surface.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]2\sqrt{(x_p-x)^2+(y_p-0)^2+(z_p-0)^2}=\sqrt{(x_p-0)^2+(y_p-y)^2+(z_p-z)^2}[/tex]

I square both sides simplify and move over to one side yielding:

[tex]3(x_p^2)+(3y_p^2+2y_py-y^2)+(3z_p^2+2zz_p-z^2)=0[/tex]from here my natural intuition says to complete the square or factor but you can't do either. Where did I go wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
themadhatter1 said:

Homework Statement

Find an equation for the surface consisting of all points p for which the distance from P to the x-axis is twice the distance from P to the yz-plane. Identify the surface.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]2\sqrt{(x_p-x)^2+(y_p-0)^2+(z_p-0)^2}=\sqrt{(x_p-0)^2+(y_p-y)^2+(z_p-z)^2}[/tex]

I square both sides simplify and move over to one side yielding:

[tex]3(x_p^2)+(3y_p^2+2y_py-y^2)+(3z_p^2+2zz_p-z^2)=0[/tex]

from here my natural intuition says to complete the square or factor but you can't do either. Where did I go wrong?

Way too complicated. You don't need any p subscripts. The nearest point to (x,y,z) on the x-axis is (x,0,0) and the nearest in the yz plane is (0,y,z). Use those.

Thanks.

You wind up with the cone [tex]4y^2+4z^2=x^2[/tex]

FAQ: What Surface Is Defined by Distances to the X-Axis and YZ-Plane?

1. What is a "Surface with specifications"?

A "Surface with specifications" refers to a type of surface or material that has specific properties or characteristics, such as texture, finish, or durability.

2. How are "Surface with specifications" used in scientific research?

"Surface with specifications" are often used in scientific research to study the effects of different surfaces on various phenomena, such as adhesion, friction, or chemical reactions. Researchers can manipulate the specifications of the surface to control and observe these effects.

3. What are some common specifications for surfaces?

Common specifications for surfaces include roughness, hardness, porosity, and chemical composition. These specifications can vary greatly depending on the specific application or research question.

4. How do scientists measure and analyze the specifications of a surface?

Scientists use a variety of techniques and instruments to measure and analyze the specifications of a surface. These can include microscopy, spectroscopy, and mechanical testing, among others. They may also use computer simulations to model and predict the behavior of different surfaces.

5. What are some potential real-world applications of research on "Surface with specifications"?

The study of "Surface with specifications" has many potential real-world applications, such as in the development of new materials, coatings, or surfaces for industrial or commercial use. It can also aid in understanding and improving processes such as lubrication, adhesion, and corrosion prevention.