Ethics of Locking Threads on Online Science Forums

• Thread starter Siress
  • Start date
In summary, a surreptitiously locked thread is a discussion forum thread that has been closed or restricted without clear notification to its participants. This can occur if the thread violates forum rules or is deemed irrelevant by moderators. To avoid having a thread surreptitiously locked, it is important to read and follow forum rules and ensure that the content is appropriate and relevant to the forum's purpose. If a thread has been surreptitiously locked, it is possible to request for it to be unlocked, but the moderators have the final decision.
Siress
Located here: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=1903622#post1903622

Everything about the thread conforms to the guidelines, as I understand them. The thread was just starting to provide the requested insight, aiding me in my journey through college and onward. Is that not part of what this website is about?

Physics news on Phys.org
You got all the advice we can give on a question like that, which is, "Go see a doctor." We don't give out medical advice here; only a physician can determine if you need medication. So, with that explanation, this thread is locked too.

What is a "Surreptitiously locked thread"?

A surreptitiously locked thread refers to a discussion forum thread that has been closed or restricted without clear notification to its participants. This can occur for various reasons, such as violating forum rules or being deemed irrelevant by moderators.

Why would a thread be surreptitiously locked?

A thread may be surreptitiously locked if it violates forum rules or is deemed irrelevant or inappropriate by moderators. This is done to maintain the overall quality and purpose of the discussion forum.

How can I tell if a thread has been surreptitiously locked?

In most cases, a thread that has been surreptitiously locked will not have a clear notification or explanation of why it has been closed. However, if you notice that you are unable to reply or access certain features of the thread, it is likely that it has been locked.

Can I request for a surreptitiously locked thread to be unlocked?

Yes, you can reach out to the forum moderators and request for a surreptitiously locked thread to be unlocked. However, keep in mind that they have the final decision on whether or not to reopen the thread.

How can I avoid having my thread surreptitiously locked?

To avoid having your thread surreptitiously locked, make sure to read and follow the forum rules. Additionally, ensure that your thread is relevant to the forum's purpose and that your content is appropriate and respectful towards others.