1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Swing speed analysis

1. Sep 25, 2010 #1
    I'm new and not even sure is this is posted in the right category----but any help would be appreciated.

I got one of those high speed golf cameras and thought I would try out a formula to measure “swing speed” using Logger Pro. I would like to start doing analysis on the swing speeds in Tennis, Golf, Baseball & Hockey.

Here is a video clip I would like anybody’s advice on:

I filmed at 1,000 fps using a lamp to light up the golf club head and the ball and went into Sports Authority to use the Golf Simulator and make a comparison on the data collected from their machine and the film used from the camera.

Because the space was tight in there I had to film from about 3 feet away. So, I have few questions for anyone who might be able to help me with getting the most accurate analysis.

At the one reading of the ball speed I show 152.1 mph and the Sports Authority machine shows 157.1. I'm okay with margin of error, however, the club head speed is way off - 106. 2 mph as compared to 139.2. Any reason for this?

How does one account for ‘Distance Distortion” when filming from, let’s say, 10 or 20 feet away?

I don’t plan on recording at 1,000 frames per second, only 210 fps. How much does that affect the accuracy? Even when I film at 1,000 fps there is a “blurrrrrr” on the ball.

Thanks!

GRF

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  2. jcsd
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted