Is Swing Speed Analysis Possible with High Speed Golf Cameras?

In summary, GRF is seeking advice on using a high-speed golf camera and Logger Pro to measure swing speeds in various sports. They have some questions about margin of error, club head speed, distance distortion, and frame rate, and are looking for help in getting accurate results.
grftennis
I'm new and not even sure is this is posted in the right category----but any help would be appreciated.

I got one of those high speed golf cameras and thought I would try out a formula to measure “swing speed” using Logger Pro. I would like to start doing analysis on the swing speeds in Tennis, Golf, Baseball & Hockey.

Here is a video clip I would like anybody’s advice on:

I filmed at 1,000 fps using a lamp to light up the golf club head and the ball and went into Sports Authority to use the Golf Simulator and make a comparison on the data collected from their machine and the film used from the camera.

Because the space was tight in there I had to film from about 3 feet away. So, I have few questions for anyone who might be able to help me with getting the most accurate analysis.

At the one reading of the ball speed I show 152.1 mph and the Sports Authority machine shows 157.1. I'm okay with margin of error, however, the club head speed is way off - 106. 2 mph as compared to 139.2. Any reason for this?

How does one account for ‘Distance Distortion” when filming from, let’s say, 10 or 20 feet away?

I don’t plan on recording at 1,000 frames per second, only 210 fps. How much does that affect the accuracy? Even when I film at 1,000 fps there is a “blurrrrrr” on the ball.

Thanks!

GRF

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello GRF,

First of all, welcome to the world of sports analysis! It's great to see your interest in using technology to measure and analyze swing speeds in various sports.

To address your questions, here are some things to consider:

1. Margin of error: It's normal to have some margin of error when comparing data from different sources. The important thing is to minimize this error as much as possible by ensuring that your setup and methods are consistent. For example, make sure the camera is set up at the same distance and angle each time, and that the lighting and other conditions are the same.

2. Club head speed: The difference in club head speed could be due to various factors. One possible reason is that the camera may not be capturing the exact moment of impact between the club and the ball. This could be due to a delay in the camera's shutter speed or a slower frame rate. It could also be caused by the "blurrrrrr" you mentioned, which could be due to the speed of the club exceeding the camera's frame rate. To get a more accurate measurement, you may need to use a camera with a higher frame rate or a faster shutter speed.

3. Distance distortion: When filming from a distance, there could be some distortion in the measurements due to the angle at which the camera is capturing the swing. To minimize this, try to position the camera at a 90-degree angle to the swing, or use multiple cameras to capture different angles.

4. Frame rate: A higher frame rate will generally result in more accurate measurements, as it allows for more precise data collection. However, using a lower frame rate may still provide useful data, as long as you are consistent in your methods and setup.

I hope this helps answer some of your questions. Keep experimenting and fine-tuning your methods to get the most accurate results. Best of luck with your analysis!

1. What is swing speed analysis?

Swing speed analysis is a process used by scientists to measure the speed at which an object, such as a golf club, moves through space during a swing. This analysis helps determine factors such as power, efficiency, and accuracy of the swing.

2. How is swing speed analyzed?

Swing speed analysis is typically done using specialized technology, such as high-speed cameras or motion capture systems, to track the movement of the object during the swing. The data collected is then analyzed using mathematical equations and computer software to determine the speed of the swing.

3. Why is swing speed analysis important?

Swing speed analysis is important because it can provide valuable information for improving performance in sports that involve swinging, such as golf or baseball. It can also be used in research to better understand the biomechanics of human movement and improve training methods.

4. What factors can affect swing speed?

There are several factors that can affect swing speed, including the weight and design of the object being swung, the strength and technique of the person swinging, and environmental factors such as wind or temperature. Additionally, the type of swing being performed, such as a full swing or a short chip shot, can also impact swing speed.

5. How can swing speed analysis benefit athletes?

Swing speed analysis can benefit athletes by providing valuable feedback on their swing mechanics, allowing them to make adjustments for better performance. It can also help athletes track their progress over time and identify any potential issues that may be affecting their swing speed. Additionally, swing speed analysis can aid in injury prevention by identifying any imbalances or weaknesses in the body that may be impacting the swing.