What is the relationship between club length and club speed in a golf swing?

In summary, the conversation is about determining the change in speed of a particle moving along an arc segment as the distance to the center point changes, assuming constant angular velocity. The goal is to use this information to prove to friends that increasing the length of a golf club shaft by a few inches will not have a significant impact on club speed. The formula for this calculation is v=r\omega, but it is important to also consider the energy stored in the swing which is proportional to v^2. The conversation also mentions the possibility of finding parametric functions online to help with the calculation.
rhill100
Hi everyone,

I started what I thought would be a simple algebra/trig problem and quickly learned that I was dead wrong. At least I think I am wrong. I need to determine how much the speed of a particle moving along an arc segment changes as the length of the distance to the center point changes if the angular velocity remains constant. I think I'm using the term angular velocity correctly... My specific goal is to show mathematically to a couple of unbelieving friends that increasing the length of a golf shaft by 3 or 4 inches is not going to make as much of a difference in club speed as they believe it is. Assuming that two golf swings are exactly the same, how fast if the club head moving is the shaft is 44 inches long versus 48 inches long. What formula(s) should I be looking for? Does anyone know of a website that may have some parametric functions on it that I could just plug in the numbers and see the difference? All I'm looking for is a percent of change between the two numbers. Thanks in advance, any guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Rob

Physics news on Phys.org
the percentile velocity increase equals the precentile club length increase because

[tex]v=r\omega[/tex]

Sybren said:
the percentile velocity increase equals the precentile club length increase because

[tex]v=r\omega[/tex]

But you really need to worry about the energy stored in the swing, which is going to be proportional to v^2.

So the energy will go as the square of the club length.

What is velocity along an arc path?

Velocity along an arc path refers to the speed at which an object is moving along a curved path. It takes into account both the magnitude and direction of the object's motion.

How is velocity along an arc path calculated?

To calculate velocity along an arc path, you need to know the distance traveled along the arc (s), the angle of the arc (θ), and the time it takes to travel along the arc (t). The formula for velocity along an arc path is v = s/θt.

Is velocity along an arc path constant?

No, velocity along an arc path is not constant. This is because the direction of the object's motion is constantly changing as it moves along the curved path. However, the magnitude of the velocity can be constant if the object is moving at a constant speed.

How does velocity along an arc path differ from linear velocity?

Velocity along an arc path differs from linear velocity in that it takes into account the curvature of the path. Linear velocity only considers the speed and direction of an object along a straight line, while velocity along an arc path considers the object's motion along a curved path.

What factors can affect velocity along an arc path?

The factors that can affect velocity along an arc path include the radius of the arc, the angle of the arc, and the speed of the object. Other external factors such as friction and air resistance can also impact the object's velocity along an arc path.