1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Swinging Pendulum hits Block on Table- Find Distance and Acceleration?

1. Nov 8, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 1.00 kg pendulum hanging from a length 1.50 m starts horizontal to the ceiling and swings (until it's perpendicular to the ceiling) to hit a 4.00 kg block. The coefficient of friction is .30.
    a) What distance does the block travel?
    b) Assuming there is no friction, what would be the acceleration of the block?
    So given:
    m_p=1.00 kg
    l=1.50 m
    m_b=4.00 kg
    μ = .30

2. Relevant equations
    PE = mgh
    KE = 1/2 mv^2
    v_f - v_i = 2ad
    F=ma

3. The attempt at a solution

A) So I can find the final velocity of the pendulum by setting PE=KE and solving for v, and then solving for a using the third equation listed. But first, what would I use for d in that 3rd equation, since the pendulum's path is circular?
    Next, once I have a, I was simply going to give the block that value of a to start with, and use F= ma_1 = ma_2 - f and solve for a_1 which would be the actual acceleration of the block taking into account frictoin, and then just use that to find the distance.
    Is this process correct, and how do I find the distance traveled by the pendulum?

B) Wouldn't this just be the acceleration of the pendulum, since no friction is slowing it down?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2011 #2
    Wait a second, to find the change in distance, would I find the distance of the curve or just the displacement?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook