Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Switching between frames of reference

1. May 9, 2008 #1
    hey :)

So, I'm trying to switch between from one frame of reference to another, for a rotation of a 3d object. First of all, the object is rotated, through 2 perpendicular axis. Now, I need to model that rotation in another set of predefined Euler rotations.

In other words, imagine a clock - the hands rotate to a particular time, then the clock itself is rotated through and axis that passes through 12 and 6 o'clock. I need to then express that orientation in predefined rotations, that pass through 12 and 6, followed by an axis through the face of the clock, then through the 12 and 6 again (bearing in mind that the clock face has moved, thus the 12 and 6 axis has been moved from it's previous position.)

I'm really struggling to grasp the geometry here! Any discussion that might give me a grasp of how to think about it (physically or mathematically!) would be most helpful!

2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2008 #2
    Need Problem Clarification

I dont quite understand the problem. Here’s the difficulty:

Suppose we represent the clock in a 3D Cartesian coordinate system in which the x axis comes out of the face towards the observer, the y axis is at 3 , and the z axis is at 12. The first rotation you describe is about x, the second is about z for an Euler sequence of x z.

You then wish to replace this sequence by the sequence z x z. This can be accomplished by a first rotation about z of 0 degrees. I don’t think this is what you had in mind.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?