Finding the Matrix Relative to Basis B

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the matrix relative to a given basis B for a linear transformation T. The first step is to apply the basis vectors to the matrix and obtain two new vectors, (7,14) and (0,0). From there, the goal is to find a new matrix T' that satisfies the equations T'*(1,2)^t=(1,2) and T'*(-3,1)^t=(3,6). This involves solving a system of equations using the given vectors and the unknown matrix entries.
mollyduncanst

Homework Statement

Let T be the linear transformation T=[1, 3, 2, 6] (the matrix has 1 and 3 on the top row and 2 and 6 on the bottom row) relative to the standard basis

Find the matrix relative to the basis B= {(1, 2), (-3, 1)}

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So what I did was apply the basis vector 1 to the matrix and then apply the basis vector 2 to the matrix again and got (7, 14) and (0, 0) but I don't know where to go from here, what do I do with these 2 vectors?

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not sure, but when saying T=[1,3; 2,6] is relative to E, it means that
T*e1^t=(1,2)
T*e2^t=(3,6)
Am I correct?
If I have remembered correctly, then we want to find T' such that
T'*(1,2)^t=(1,2)
T'*(-3,1)^t=(3,6)
or in other words
[a,b;c,d]*(1,2)^t=(1,2) => (a+2b,c+2d)=(1,2)
[a,b;c,d]*(-3,1)^t=(3,6) => (-3a+b,-3c+d)=(3,6)
which is actually:
[1] a+2b=1
[2] -3a+b=3
[3] c+2d=2
[4] -3c+d=6

What is a "Switching Matrix Base"?

A Switching Matrix Base is a type of electronic circuit that allows for the routing and switching of multiple input signals to multiple output signals. It typically consists of a matrix of cross points, where each point represents a connection between an input and an output.

How does a Switching Matrix Base work?

A Switching Matrix Base works by using a control signal to open or close specific cross points, thus creating connections between the desired input and output signals. This allows for the routing and switching of signals in a flexible and controlled manner.

What are the applications of Switching Matrix Bases?

Switching Matrix Bases are commonly used in electronic and communication systems, such as telecommunications networks, audio and video distribution systems, and data centers. They are also used in scientific and industrial settings, such as laboratory equipment and manufacturing processes.

What are the advantages of using Switching Matrix Bases?

Switching Matrix Bases offer several advantages, including the ability to easily reconfigure signal paths, increased flexibility in signal routing, and enhanced control and monitoring capabilities. They also allow for the consolidation of multiple signal paths into a single system, reducing the need for complex and bulky wiring.

What are the different types of Switching Matrix Bases?

There are several types of Switching Matrix Bases, including crossbar switches, space division switches, and time division switches. Each type has its own unique characteristics and is suitable for different applications. Some Switching Matrix Bases also use different technologies, such as electromechanical, solid-state, or optical, to achieve their functionality.