What is the origin of the 1/2 symmetry factor in Feynman diagrams?

In summary, the conversation is about the confusion regarding the calculation of symmetry factors in Feynman diagrams, particularly the last 1/2 factor in Peskin's textbook. The speaker is trying to understand the factor as it relates to double-counting when connecting legs of u-vertex, but is not convinced by the argument. They also question the origin of the 1/2 factor. It is later explained that the factor comes from treating the contraction between vertices u and w as four different combinations instead of just two.
ismaili
I was suddenly confused by the calculation of symmetry factors of Feynman diagrams.
For example, in Peskin's textbook, as the attached pdf file,
Below eq(4.45), he calculated the symmetry factor in detail,
however, I was confused by the last 1/2 factor.

I'm trying to realize this factor as for the double-counting when we connect two of four legs of [tex]u[/tex]-vertex. But, I am not quite convinced by this above argument.
If we label the four legs of [tex]u[/tex]-vertex with 1,2,3,4.
Connecting legs 1,2 to form a loop, and then connecting legs 3,4 to [tex]w-[/tex]vertex is different from connecting legs 3,4 to form a loop and then connecting 1,2 to [tex]w-[/tex]vertex, right? In this way there is no double-counting!?

Where does that 1/2 factor come from?
Thanks.

Attachments

• Peskin SymmetryFactor.pdf
    81.6 KB · Views: 282
Physics news on Phys.org
ismaili said:
I was suddenly confused by the calculation of symmetry factors of Feynman diagrams.
For example, in Peskin's textbook, as the attached pdf file,
Below eq(4.45), he calculated the symmetry factor in detail,
however, I was confused by the last 1/2 factor.

I'm trying to realize this factor as for the double-counting when we connect two of four legs of [tex]u[/tex]-vertex. But, I am not quite convinced by this above argument.
If we label the four legs of [tex]u[/tex]-vertex with 1,2,3,4.
Connecting legs 1,2 to form a loop, and then connecting legs 3,4 to [tex]w-[/tex]vertex is different from connecting legs 3,4 to form a loop and then connecting 1,2 to [tex]w-[/tex]vertex, right? In this way there is no double-counting!?

Where does that 1/2 factor come from?
Thanks.
Oh I figured it out.
When we form a loop at vertex [tex]u[/tex], we have 6 ways.
But when we connect two legs, say 1,2, of vertex [tex]u[/tex] to, say 1,2, of vertex [tex]w[/tex], we have only 2 possible ways. That is, (11)(22) and (12)(12).
However, we treated the contraction between vertices [tex]u[/tex] and [tex]w[/tex] as four different combination. So the double counting occurs here.
:shy:

Related to What is the origin of the 1/2 symmetry factor in Feynman diagrams?

1. What is the symmetry factor of a diagram?

The symmetry factor of a diagram is a number that represents the amount of symmetry present in the diagram. It is used in theoretical physics and quantum field theory to help calculate the probability of certain particle interactions.

2. How is symmetry factor calculated?

The symmetry factor is calculated by counting the number of ways a diagram can be rearranged without changing its overall structure. This includes exchanging the positions of particles and flipping the direction of momentum arrows.

3. Why is the symmetry factor important in theoretical physics?

The symmetry factor is important because it helps to simplify complex calculations in quantum field theory. It allows physicists to consider only a few representative diagrams rather than having to calculate all possible variations.

4. How does the symmetry factor affect the probability of particle interactions?

The symmetry factor is directly related to the probability of particle interactions. A higher symmetry factor means there are more ways for the particles to interact, increasing the overall probability of the interaction occurring.

5. Can the symmetry factor of a diagram be greater than 1?

Yes, the symmetry factor can be greater than 1. This occurs when there are multiple ways to rearrange the diagram without changing its overall structure. In some cases, the symmetry factor can be significantly larger than 1, indicating a high probability of the particle interaction occurring.