Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Synchronous Machine Transent parameters from sudden 3phase Short Circuit

1. Oct 24, 2015 #1
    Hi, So we're doing this Lab on Transient reactance of a synch generator and I'm reading Sarma's classic: Electric Machines Steady-state theory and Dynamic performance p. 474-479

But I can't see how to get the actual exponential time constants for the sub-transient and transient reactances?
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2015 #2
    Does the constant 0.368 have any significance? It's almost like he's saying to progress 36.8% from the initial transient peak, then that time is the time constant for the transient?
    Also how do you plot the envolope around a waveform?

Lastly, how to you work out the asymmetrical DC component? Fourier or something?

4. Oct 25, 2015 #3

anorlunda

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

5. Oct 31, 2015 #4
    There are some standards in order to calculate the short-circuit currents.
    The most importants ,I think, are IEEE 551/2006 –this is the last edition I know- and IEC 60909.
    In IEEE 551/2006 Calculating Short-Circuit Currents in Industrial and Commercial Power Stations the synchronous machine reactance is treated in CH.5 and the short circuit current
    at the terminals of this machine [formula 5.1]:
    Isc=(E/X”dv-E/X’dv)e^(-t/T”do)+ (E/X’dv-E/Xdv)e^(-t/T’do)+E/xd
    Where :
    X’’dv=Direct-axis saturated subtransient reactance
    X’dv= Direct-axis saturated transient reactance
    Xd =synchronous reactance
    T’’do=subtransient time constant
    T’do= transient time constant
    In IEC 60909-2 ch. 2.3 there are Data on typical synchronous machines [Table 2]

6. Oct 31, 2015 #5
    Hi, thanks.
    Right, but how do I work out the Direct-axis saturated subtransient reactance, Direct-axis saturated transient reactance, synchronous reactance or the sub or transient, timeconstants?

Thanks

7. Nov 1, 2015 #6
    Usually there are manufacturer data. Never-the-less in some standards are approximate formulae as for instance:
    From IEC 61363-1 ch.6.2.6 Time constants
    “If the a.c. and d.c. time constants are unavailable, they can be calculated from the machine
    open-circuit time constants and impedance as follows:
    Subtransient time constant (usually of the order of 1 ms to 30 ms):
    1. T"d = (X"d / X'd) T"do (32)
    2. Transient time constant (usually of the order of 20 ms to 1200 ms):
      T'd = (X'd / Xd) T'do (33)
      c) d.c. time constant (usually of the order of 15 ms to 300 ms):
      Tdc = X"d /(2.pi.fr.Ra)

8. Nov 1, 2015 #7
    Hmm, because I took the current waveform for the field and phases on the CRO using a solid state switch on the zero crossing. So I have the transient oscillations of the current, but no manufacturer data.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook