Synchrotron Radiation Units: Photons/s/mrad^2/1%BW

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 6K views
rockingroli
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hi

I have a question about the common unit for the intensity of a synchrotron X-Ray spectrum:

[tex]\frac{Photons}{sec*mrad^{2}*0.1\%BW}[/tex]

I am not sure how to interpret the 0.1%BW.

How do I get the numbers of Photons/sec/mrad2 in an Energy range lets
say from energy [tex]E_1[/tex] to energy [tex]E_2[/tex] ?

I really need to know this !

Thank you for any help

Roland
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I believe 0.1%BW indicates bandwidth, which seems to be verified by

http://www.research.ibm.com/journal/rd/444/jordansweet.html - see end of paragraph 3

Second-generation synchrotrons have been upgraded with insertion devices where possible, and are testing grounds for new designs. Currently, second-generation rings produce a maximum brightness of ~1014 photons/s/0.1%bw/mm2/mrad2. (Brightness is a combination of flux, source size, and beam divergence. It is given in units of number of photons per second in a certain energy bandwidth, divided by source area and by the solid angle of the radiation cone.)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Let's consider this example: I've got the flux from undulator at some point, say 10^9 photons/s at 3 keV. What is 0.1%bw in this case?