Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Syriana, Depressing and true to life.

1. Dec 18, 2005 #1
    I just saw Syriana. It shows that little bits of corruption end up killing reform in the middle east which in turn perpetuates terrorism.

It also does a good job of showing that many terrorists are not indoctrinated to violence, they are slowly persuaded through peer pressure to do acts they normally would not.

what do you all think?
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 18, 2005 #2

Gold Member

True to life? Even the producers didn't claim it was true to life from what I remember... i better go check it out (just kidding, im not fighitng these damn malls to see a movie around this time of year.).

And why are you getting your geopolitical information from hollywood?
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2005
  4. Dec 18, 2005 #3
    True to life, meaning this is the kind of stuff that happens. They do not claim this this depicts actual events.

Like a movie involving an injustice in the US court system, Syriana is story that speaks for all events like this one that take place.
  5. Dec 18, 2005 #4

Staff: Mentor

Is it? How do you know?

I'm a little wary of attaching too much reality to a fictional movie, but I haven't seen it yet, so....
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2005
  6. Dec 18, 2005 #5

Gold Member

I still don't understand how you can say "this kind of stuff happens" and then say that it doesn't depict actual events...
  7. Dec 18, 2005 #6
    a movie about a bank robbery is a movie about stuff that actually happens, but does not depict actual events.

do you need me to be more concrete?
  8. Dec 18, 2005 #7
    You have to be a truly naive person regarding the US Government to think that we do not conduct covert operations to undermine movements that do not fit with our interests in the middle east.
  9. Dec 18, 2005 #8

Gold Member

.... thats such a non-statement. Every movie outside of disney movies are about things that actually could happen...
  10. Dec 18, 2005 #9
    then what was your point? Do you deny that the US actively undermines movements that are counter their best interests in other countries?
  11. Dec 18, 2005 #10

Gold Member

Is that you're conclusion based off a hollywood movie?

How can the movie be about us undermining things while you say it doesnt depict real events and then you say the us undermines things based off the movie? I think you'd make sense if you got rid of the idea that it doesn't depict real events because in your opinion, it does. Everyone knows the US undermines movements in the Arab world like various radical movements or terrorist groups etc etc, the question is whether or not the movie depicts actual events or not. You are claiming they don't but then you say that what the movie depicts actually does happen which is contradictory to your opinion that it doesn't happen.
  12. Dec 18, 2005 #11
    The scripwritter for this movie was on charlie rose last friday. He said he based most of the movie on things he noted in real life. For example, he said one time he was at a card game with some rich mega powerful men, who were debating which was the next country to fall. And he goes on to say, and then the richest guy of them all said no, your all wrong, this country will fall, and ill tell you how. And a couple of weeks later exaclty that happened. Also, he went to Seria to do some background for the script, and when he got off the plane, someone called him on his cell phone. Then he was wisked away in a car and taken to the religious leader of Hezobllah. He goes on to tell the rest of his story. He was an excillent guest on the show and a magnificent story teller. I want to go see his movie once my finals are over, it should be quite good.
  13. Dec 18, 2005 #12

I saw this guy on television talking about the movie. He was very convincing. He stated in no uncertain terms that events depicted in the movie were very true to life. He also claimed that as a CIA agent he was involved in many operations that were similiar to those in the movie.
  14. Dec 18, 2005 #13

Rush would be proud of your ability to confuse the discussions.

The movie is a conglomeration of activities that go on in real life but the movie itself does not depict an actual singular event.

The US does undermine democratic movements in countries where it would hurt the US. That has been going on since the end of World War II.

The US does send spies into other countries to get jobs done that would be against the law for those agents to do themselves.
  15. Dec 18, 2005 #14
    Don't try to convince Pengwuino, he will just claim the guy is full of it and go along his merry way.
  16. Dec 18, 2005 #15
    If the movie depicted actual events and not fictionalized versions of actual events all hell would break loose in the Middle East.
  17. Dec 18, 2005 #16
    That's OK. That is what political forums are all about.:smile:
  18. Dec 18, 2005 #17
    Guys, the movie parallels events that were claimed by this guy who was a CIA agent and the experiences of the script writter. It is not based on any one single event. That should be obvious, since it doesn't say anywhere, "based on a true story."
  19. Dec 18, 2005 #18
    So now it's only half hell that broke loose?:biggrin:
  20. Dec 18, 2005 #19
    I'm going to check my local videopirate here if they already have a copy!
  21. Dec 18, 2005 #20
    cyrusabdollahi, that was the point of the thread. To get the thoughts about the parallels to reality.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?