System of differential equations involving matrices

In summary: Y)In summary, the conversation discusses how to obtain the general solution $\mathbf{y}(t)$ of a system of differential equations $\displaystyle \frac{d\mathbf{y}}{dt} = \mathbf{Ay}$, where $\mathbf{A} = \begin{pmatrix} 9 & 2 \\ 1 & 8 \end{pmatrix}.$ It is found that $\mathbf{y} = ke^{\mathbf{A}t}$, where $k \in \mathbb{R}$, and the eigenvalues of $\mathbf{A}$ are $\lambda = 7,10$. The conversation then discusses how to proceed by diagonalizing
Guest2
Let $\mathbf{A} = \begin{pmatrix} 9 & 2 \\ 1 & 8 \end{pmatrix}.$ Obtain the general solution $\mathbf{y}(t)$ of the system of differential equations $\displaystyle \frac{d\mathbf{y}}{dt} = \mathbf{Ay}$:

$\begin{cases} \frac{dy_1}{dt} = 9y_1+2y_2 \\ \frac{dy_2}{dt} = y_1+8y_2 \end{cases}$

and find the unique solution satisfying $y_1(0) = 1$ and $y_2(0) = 5$.​

I've found that $\mathbf{y} = ke^{\mathbf{A}t}$, where $k \in \mathbb{R}$. That also eigenvalues of $\mathbf{A}$ are $\lambda = 7,10$. But I do not know how to proceed.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Re: System of ifferential equations involving matrices

Guest said:
Let $\mathbf{A} = \begin{pmatrix} 9 & 2 \\ 1 & 8 \end{pmatrix}.$ Obtain the general solution $\mathbf{y}(t)$ of the system of differential equations $\displaystyle \frac{d\mathbf{y}}{dt} = \mathbf{Ay}$:

$\begin{cases} \frac{dy_1}{dt} = 9y_1+2y_2 \\ \frac{dy_2}{dt} = y_1+8y_2 \end{cases}$

I've found that $\mathbf{y} = ke^{\mathbf{A}t}$, where $k \in \mathbb{R}$. That also eigenvalues of $\mathbf{A}$ are $\lambda = 7,10$. But I do not know how to proceed.
Well, you have non-zero eigenvalues for A. That means you can diagonalize it. What happens to your two equations if you change the basis so that A is diagonal?

-Dan

Re: System of ifferential equations involving matrices

topsquark said:
Well, you have non-zero eigenvalues for A. That means you can diagonalize it. What happens to your two equations if you change the basis so that A is diagonal?

-Dan
I haven't obtained the two equations yet. They're asking me to show it. I'm at the step where I've $\displaystyle \frac{d\mathbf{y}}{dt} = \mathbf{Ay} \implies \mathbf{y} = ke^{\mathbf{A}t}$.

Guest said:

Ignore the y = ke^{At} thing for a moment.

This is the long way around for this level of problem, but it generalizes nicely.

What I want you to do is diagonalize A. You have non-zero eigenvalues, so we can do the following. Find a transformation matrix S to act on you original equations as so:
\(\displaystyle S \vec{y}' = SA \vec{y} = (S A S^{-1}) (S \vec{y} )\)

such that
\(\displaystyle S A S^{-1} = \left ( \begin{matrix} 7 & 0 \\ 0 & 10 \end{matrix} \right )\)

One possibility is \(\displaystyle S = \left ( \begin{matrix} 1 & -2 \\ 1 & 1 \end{matrix} \right )\)

Thus
\(\displaystyle S \vec{y}' = \left ( \begin{matrix} 7 & 0 \\ 0 & 10 \end{matrix} \right ) S(\vec{y})\)

Call \(\displaystyle S \vec{y} = Y\) and thus we also have \(\displaystyle S \vec{y}' = Y'\)

So you need to solve
\(\displaystyle \left ( \begin{matrix} Y_1' \\ Y_2 ' \end{matrix} \right ) = \left ( \begin{matrix} 7 & 0 \\ 0 & 10 \end{matrix} \right ) \left ( \begin{matrix} Y_1 \\ Y_2 \end{matrix} \right )\)

This decouples nicely. Once you have Y_1 and Y_2 then you can solve the simultaneous equations problem to find y_1 and y_2.

-Dan

topsquark said:
I was actually trying to get the system of equations in the cases, i.e. the one I was supposed solve (I completely misread the problem)! (Rofl)

Thank you. I'll study your post.

Related to System of differential equations involving matrices

1. What is a system of differential equations involving matrices?

A system of differential equations involving matrices is a set of equations that describe the relationship between multiple variables, where the variables are represented by matrices. These equations can be used to model complex systems and predict their behavior over time.

2. How is a system of differential equations involving matrices different from a regular system of differential equations?

A regular system of differential equations involves only scalar quantities, while a system involving matrices deals with matrices as variables. This allows for a more comprehensive and accurate representation of complex systems that involve multiple variables.

3. What are the applications of a system of differential equations involving matrices?

A system of differential equations involving matrices has various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology. It can be used to model and predict the behavior of physical systems, analyze economic systems, and understand biological processes.

4. How do you solve a system of differential equations involving matrices?

The most common method for solving a system of differential equations involving matrices is by using matrix operations and techniques. This involves finding the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the matrices and using them to construct a general solution. Other methods such as numerical methods can also be used for solving these types of equations.

5. What are the challenges of working with a system of differential equations involving matrices?

One of the main challenges of working with a system of differential equations involving matrices is the complexity of the equations and the potential for large amounts of data. This can make it difficult to analyze and interpret the results, and may require advanced mathematical skills and computational tools. Additionally, the accuracy of the results is highly dependent on the accuracy of the initial conditions and parameters used in the model.