System of linear equations: When are we guaranteed a unique solution?

So if b\neq 0, then \mathrm{rank}(A|b) = \mathrm{rank}(A)+1, and if we have one free variable, then \mathrm{rank}(A)+1 > m, i.e. \mathrm{rank}(A) \ge m. So \mathrm{rank}(A)=m, and indeed x=A^-1 b. If b=0, then \mathrm{rank}(A|b) = \mathrm{rank}(A), so we can only conclude that the system is consistent, but not that it has a solution. In summary, systems of linear equations can have infinitely many or no solutions even if the number of unknowns and equations are the same.
kent davidge
I was reading about systems of linear equations. Even if we have the same number of unknowns and equations, we may still have infinitely many or no solutions. But if in addition to that the determinant of the matrix of coefficients does not vanish, then does it necessarily imply that we have a unique solution?

Surprisingly or not, I haven't found an answer to the above question.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/mathematics/18-02sc-multivariable-calculus-fall-2010/1.-vectors-and-matrices/part-b-matrices-and-systems-of-equations/session-14-solutions-to-square-systems/MIT18_02SC_MNotes_m3.pdf

Likes kent davidge
For the system [itex]Ax = b[/itex] with [itex]A\in\mathrm{Mat}_{m, n}(K)[/itex], there are [itex]n-\mathrm{rank}(A)[/itex] free variables. If [itex]K=\mathbb R[/itex] (or any other infinite field), then having at least one variable free means there are infinitely many solutions. Also, a solution can be unique only if the matrix [itex]A[/itex] is a square matrix (i.e only if number of variables = number of equations).

Of course, if the underlying field is finite, there can't be infinitely many solutions. That's something a lot of my students get wrong. They remember from school that if number of eqs is smaller than number of variables, then there are automatically infinitely many solutions. Not necessarily.

Last edited:
Likes kent davidge and StoneTemplePython
This is a nice answer, but I think you are thinking of the case b = the zero vector. I.e. probably you need to assume also the system is consistent. As you stated it, it seems, even with an infinite field and some free variables, if b ≠ zero, you only get either infinitely many, or no solutions. E.g. you could have the system x+y = 0, and x+y = 1, where the rank of the 2x2 matrix A is one, hence there is one free variable, but there is no solution at all, since the vector (0,1) does not lie in the image {(t,t): all t in K}, of the linear transformation.

Good point. The system [itex]Ax=b[/itex] has a solution if and only if [itex]\mathrm{rank}(A) = \mathrm{rank}(A|b)[/itex] by Kronecker-Capelli.

1. What is a system of linear equations?

A system of linear equations is a set of two or more equations that contain two or more variables. The variables in each equation have a power of one, and the equations are all linear (no exponents).

2. When are we guaranteed a unique solution for a system of linear equations?

A unique solution for a system of linear equations is guaranteed when the number of equations is equal to the number of variables, and the equations are independent (they do not share any common solutions).

3. Can a system of linear equations have more than one solution?

Yes, a system of linear equations can have infinitely many solutions if the equations are dependent (they share common solutions) or if there are more variables than equations.

4. How can we solve a system of linear equations?

There are several methods for solving a system of linear equations, including substitution, elimination, and graphing. These methods involve manipulating the equations to isolate the variables and find their values.

5. What is the importance of finding a unique solution for a system of linear equations?

Finding a unique solution for a system of linear equations is important because it allows us to determine the exact values of the variables and make accurate predictions or solve real-world problems. It also helps us understand the relationships between the variables and how they affect each other.