System of linear equations with fractions

In summary: This is correct. However, clearing fractions like that may be a big waste of time, since as soon as you start to solve the equations you will be back to fractions again.
Chase

Homework Statement

Solve the following system of linear equations.

##\begin{array}{cc} \frac{1}{2}x+y-\frac{3}{4}z=1

\\ \frac{2}{3}x-\frac{1}{3}y+z=2

\\ x-\frac{1}{5}y+2z=1 \end{array}##

The Attempt at a Solution

Can I just do elimination by addition? So if I multiple the first equation by ##\frac{1}{3}## I get ##\frac{1}{3}\left(\frac{1}{2}x\right)+\frac{1}{3}y+\frac{1}{3}\left(-\frac{3}{4}\right)=\frac{1}{3}## then I can add this to the second equation to eliminate the y's?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yep, elimination works with fractions just like it does for whole number coefficients. It also works with decimal coefficients as well, just not as neatly.

SteamKing said:
Yep, elimination works with fractions just like it does for whole number coefficients. It also works with decimal coefficients as well, just not as neatly.

In my book it suggests to try clearing the denominators first to make it easier. To do this do you just multiply each term by the lowest commom number? So in my case I would multiply the first term by 2 to clear the 2, the second term by 4 giving 4y, leaving the third term as it is and then finally the 1 giving 4?

Chase said:
In my book it suggests to try clearing the denominators first to make it easier. To do this do you just multiply each term by the lowest commom number? So in my case I would multiply the first term by 2 to clear the 2, the second term by 4 giving 4y, leaving the third term as it is and then finally the 1 giving 4?

You don't multiply every term by a different number. You multiply every equation by a different number. Multiply the first equation by 4, then second by 3 and the third by 5. Do you see why?

Dick said:
You don't multiply every term by a different number. You multiply every equation by a different number. Multiply the first equation by 4, then second by 3 and the third by 5. Do you see why?
Yes, to clear the fractions. When I multiply each equation as you said I'll end up with

\begin{array}{cc} 2x+4y-3z=4

\\ 2x-y+3z=6

\\ 5x-y+10z=5 \end{array}

?

Last edited:
Chase said:
Yes, to clear the fractions. When I multiply each equation as you said I'll end up with

\\ 2x-y+3z=6

?

Looks fine.

BTW, using LaTeX here is overkill. You can write it in plain old text.

2x+4y-3z=4
2x-y+3z=6
5x-y+10z=5

Chase said:

\\ 2x-y+3z=6

?

This is correct. However, clearing fractions like that may be a big waste of time, since as soon as you start to solve the equations you will be back to fractions again.

Related to System of linear equations with fractions

1. What is a system of linear equations with fractions?

A system of linear equations with fractions is a set of two or more equations in which the variables are related to each other through linear expressions that contain fractions.

2. How do you solve a system of linear equations with fractions?

To solve a system of linear equations with fractions, you can use the elimination method, substitution method, or graphing method. The goal is to get rid of the fractions by multiplying both sides of the equations by a common denominator.

3. Can you have a system of linear equations with only fractions?

Yes, it is possible to have a system of linear equations with only fractions. In fact, these types of systems are quite common in real-world applications such as finance and chemistry.

4. What if there are no solutions to a system of linear equations with fractions?

If there are no solutions to a system of linear equations with fractions, it means that the equations are inconsistent and do not intersect at any point. This could happen when the equations represent parallel lines.

5. How do you know if a system of linear equations with fractions has infinite solutions?

If a system of linear equations with fractions has infinite solutions, it means that all the equations are equivalent and represent the same line. This could happen when the equations are multiples of each other.