Is Torque Determined by Centripetal or Tangential Acceleration?

• Thread starter Haynes Kwon
  • Start date
In summary, the acceleration of an object due to a centripetal force is due to the vector addition of the nutational and tangential components.
Haynes Kwon
Gold Member
Since F=Δp/Δt...

Δp=mΔv+vΔm, Δm=0
Δp=mΔv

Therefore, Δp/Δt=mΔv/Δt=ma.
And if I multiply 'r' to both sides

rF=rma, which is τ=rma

My question is: is 'a' centripetal acceleration or is it tangential acceleration?
If 'a' is centripetal acceleration, which is v^2/r, τ=rmv^2/r=mv^2?

Also I don't really get what tangential acceleration is...

Physics news on Phys.org
Haynes Kwon said:
Since F=Δp/Δt...

Δp=mΔv+vΔm, Δm=0
Δp=mΔv

rF=rma, which is τ=rma

My question is: is 'a' centripetal acceleration or is it tangential acceleration?
Tangential

Haynes Kwon said:
Perpendicular to centripetal (if the path is a circle).

Likes Haynes Kwon
Thank you very much. But may I ask why?

The torque is an axial vector quantity, i.e., it is defined by
$$\vec{\tau}=\vec{r} \times \vec{F}.$$
Here, ##\vec{r}## is the radius vector from a fixed point (with respect to which you want to calculate the torque) and ##\vec{F}## the force acting on the particle. Obviously the torque is perpendicular to the plane spanned by ##\vec{r}## and ##\vec{F}##, and it's 0 whenever ##\vec{F} \propto \vec{r}##.

Defining the angular momentum as
$$\vec{L}=\vec{r} \times \vec{p}=m \vec{r} \times \dot{\vec{r}},$$
you get
$$\dot{\vec{L}}=m \dot{\vec{r}} \times \dot{\vec{r}}+m \vec{r} \times \ddot{\vec{r}}=m \vec{r} \times \ddot{\vec{r}}=\vec{r} \times \vec{F}=\vec{\tau}.$$

Particularly this shows that for central forces, i.e., for ##\vec{F} \propto \vec{r}## the angular momentum is conserved.

Likes Haynes Kwon
Thank you so much.
So you mean that τ=mv^2 is correct?

No. I said ##\vec{\tau}=\vec{r} \times \vec{F}##!

vanhees71 said:
No. I said ##\vec{\tau}=\vec{r} \times \vec{F}##!
Perhaps I can help clarify to @Haynes Kwon . When the symbol ## \times ## is used between two vectors, it means vector cross product. If the two vectors are parallel or anti-parallel, the result is zero. The two vectors get the maximum cross product when they are perpendicular. In the case of an object moving in a circle, the centripetal force (## F=\frac{mv^2}{r} ##) supplies zero torque because ## \vec{r} \times \vec{F}=0 ##. The vectors ## \vec{r} ## and ## \vec{F} ## lie along the same line=they are anti-parallel, so their vector coss product is zero. Note: For a vector cross product, ## | \vec{A} \times \vec{B} |=|\vec{A}||\vec{B}|sin(\theta) ## where ## \theta ## is the angle between the two vectors.

Likes Haynes Kwon and vanhees71
Haynes Kwon said:
Since F=Δp/Δt...

Δp=mΔv+vΔm, Δm=0
Δp=mΔv

rF=rma, which is τ=rma

If 'a' is centripetal acceleration, which is v^2/r, τ=rmv^2/r=mv^2?

[1st point]
We have:
\vec {Δp} =m( \vec Δv )+ ( \vec v )Δm, Δm=/=0, Δm="change in mass".
We can hypothesise that this "transfer of mass"Δm[x]+"change in internal mass distribution"Δm[r], in general.
So, we may have Δm=0 superficially, but Δm=Δm[x]+Δm[r] , in reality. (x='linear measure', r='radial measure')
To clarify, there may be cases Δm=Δm[x] [ii] Δm=Δm[r] [iii] Δm=0.

[2nd point]
Considering case [iii], (which makes sense for circular motion as the mass always returns to the same point):

We take the 'cross product' between the 'pair of vectors': \tilde P={ \vec r , \vec F } ;
such that: \vec r X \vec F = |r| |F| sin(θ) ( \hat n ) , where \hat n ="unit normal vector" to \tilde P .

So, for case [iii], we really have: \tilde τ = |r| |F| sin(θ) ( \hat n ) = |r| m|a| sin(θ) ( \hat n )
The acceleration resultant is comes from the vector addition of nutational (3d only), centripetal 'r' and tangential 'θ' components. We will consider only the latter 2 components, thus: \vec a = \vec a r + \vec a θ

From Newton's Principia, we have:
\vec a r = \dot v θ = \frac { \vec dv θ } {dt} = ( \frac v 2 , R ) \hat r ; with variable R=|r| , v=| \vec v θ | = ωR
and \vec a_θ = \dot{ \vec v r } = \frac { d \vec v r } {dt}.

We could put \vec v r = 0 for circular motion, or ; for simple harmonic motion r could vary sinusoidally wrt t,
so that: r= r 0 sin ( ω r t ) ,
and: vec v r = \frac { \vec r} {dt} =\frac {d ( r 0 sin ( ω r t ) \hat r )} {dt}
⇒ vec v r = ω r r 0 cos ( ω r t ) \hat r +r 0 sin ( ω r t) \frac { d \hat r } {dt}
... substitute \hat r = \vec r / |r| and work out the derivative wrt t , then find \dot{ \vec v r }

By letting |a|=a , we have: \tilde τ = R m a sin(θ) ( \hat n )
The centripetal component can be considered transversal as it varies 'up and down'.

We get a from the sum of the squares of the transversal and tangential components.

Last edited:

Related to Is Torque Determined by Centripetal or Tangential Acceleration?

1. What is the formula for torque?

The formula for torque is Τ=mv^2, where Τ is the torque, m is the mass, and v is the velocity.

2. How is torque different from force?

Torque is a rotational force, while force is a linear force. Torque causes an object to rotate around an axis, while force causes an object to move in a straight line.

3. What is the unit of measurement for torque?

The unit of measurement for torque is Newton-meters (Nm).

4. How do you calculate torque in a system with multiple forces?

To calculate torque in a system with multiple forces, you must take into account the magnitude and direction of each force, as well as the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where each force is applied. The total torque is then the sum of all individual torques.

5. What is the importance of torque in physics?

Torque is important in physics because it is a fundamental concept in rotational motion. It helps us understand how forces act on objects to cause them to rotate, and it is crucial in many real-world applications such as engines, gears, and levers.