T-S Carnot Cycle for Photon Gas

In summary, the P-V diagram for the photon gas is the "golden" Carnot cycle, but constructing the T-S diagram is more complicated than the one presented for an ideal gas.
repetelww
So I have been thinking about the photon gas, and I have read several papers talking about how a Carnot cycle could be created for it. This is fantastic, and it is something I am quite comfortable with. All of the papers present the P-V diagram as the "golden" Carnot cycle for the photon gas, and say that the construction of a T-S diagram would be "trivial", but do not present what the cycle would actually look like, and I have searched/read for quite some time, but have not been able to come up with definitively what it should look like.

Would it differ from the one presented for the ideal gas? Such as
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnot_cycle#The_temperature-entropy_diagram

I apologize if this is something trivial to you, but it bothers me since P does not depend on V, and that P and T are not independent in the photon gas. It seems like such a diagram would be more convoluted than the one presented for an ideal gas.

Science news on Phys.org
See the attachment (Kardar "Statistical Physics of Particles" problem 1.10).

Attachments

• photon gas carnot cycle.png
    photon gas carnot cycle.png
    33.8 KB · Views: 1,306
This is a nifty little problem set, and it very nicely demonstrates some of the key ideas of the photon gas. It is a great representation of the P-V plane for the Carnot Cycle. I have no difficultly in accepting any of the information required for the construction of the P-V plane. The issue become when I attempt to construct the T-S plane for the photon gas.

Essentially, I know the typical construction for such a T-S plane for say an ideal gas, would require the use of isobaric and isentropic processes. But when I think about the isobaric processes in particular for the photon gas, since the P and T are not independent, it appears that have constant pressure requires constant temperature, so that any isobaric processes would not actually change the temperature. So in my mind the plot in the T-S is just a straight line for the Carnot Cycle with a photon gas.

Thanks, for your reply!

1. What is a T-S Carnot Cycle for Photon Gas?

A T-S Carnot Cycle for Photon Gas is a theoretical thermodynamic cycle that describes the behavior of a gas composed of photons. It is based on the principles of the Carnot cycle, which is a reversible cycle that maximizes the efficiency of a heat engine.

2. How does a T-S Carnot Cycle for Photon Gas work?

In this cycle, the photon gas is confined in a container and is allowed to expand and contract by changing its temperature. The cycle consists of two isothermal processes and two adiabatic processes, where the temperature and entropy of the gas vary.

3. What is the purpose of studying the T-S Carnot Cycle for Photon Gas?

The T-S Carnot Cycle for Photon Gas is a useful tool for studying the behavior of gases at high temperatures, such as in astrophysical systems. It also helps in understanding the thermodynamic properties of photons and their interactions with matter.

4. How is the efficiency of the T-S Carnot Cycle for Photon Gas calculated?

The efficiency of the cycle is calculated using the formula: efficiency = (T1 - T2) / T1, where T1 is the high temperature and T2 is the low temperature of the cycle. This efficiency is a theoretical limit and cannot be achieved in real systems.

5. What are the limitations of the T-S Carnot Cycle for Photon Gas?

The T-S Carnot Cycle for Photon Gas is a theoretical model and does not account for real-world factors such as energy losses due to friction and heat transfer. It also assumes an ideal gas, which may not accurately represent the behavior of a photon gas in all situations.