Planning a Euro Trip: Germany, Switzerland & France

• News
  • Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary: But if you're looking for a more "off the beaten path" experience, I'd recommend Zermatt. It's a really cool mountain town, with a lot of hiking and skiing to be done, and the scenery is absolutely stunning. In summary, Greg recommends visiting Zermat, Switzerland and Mont Blanc, France. He also recommends renting a car and going nuts on the Auto Bahn.
I'm planning on taking a euro trip this winter with a few friends. We are planning on visiting cities in Germany, Switzerland and France. Anyone have tips on places to visit? Or maybe if some of you are in those areas we can visit :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone have tips on places to visit?

No, but the movie Euro Trip is hilarious! Maybe you can rent the DVD and play it on your laptop during the flight.

It fits the occasion!

Dagenais said:
No, but the movie Euro Trip is hilarious! Maybe you can rent the DVD and play it on your laptop during the flight.

It fits the occasion!

haha yeah, one place we will spend a lot of time at is amsterdam :wink:

Greg Bernhardt said:
I'm planning on taking a euro trip this winter with a few friends. We are planning on visiting cities in Germany, Switzerland and France. Anyone have tips on places to visit? Or maybe if some of you are in those areas we can visit :smile:

If there is any way that you can swing it, I highly recommend a trip to Zermat, Switzerland. Being winter this may not be likely, the prices will probably be way out of sight, but still I would check into it. Tsu and I spent a little time there and it was spectacular. There is a gear driven rail system that goes right to the top of the Alps, directly across from the Matterhorn. Incredible!

Greg I was thinking, if you plan to stay in Wisp, it may be possible to make a day trip to Zermat and up the mountain. I think the rail cost is reasonable all year, but in winter the hotels may be, well, like $2000 per night, IIRC.

The high speed rail between Paris and Geneva is also very, very, cool. At the time that we went it was fairly reasonable in price.

Last edited:
Greg Bernhardt said:

Then you need to plan carefully. A stop for coffee can take awhile.

Greg Bernhardt said:

You have to take a trip to the Mont Blanc (15 000 + ft high) in the village of Chamounix in France. They have a cable car that gets you to a peak about the same height as the Mont Blanc (Aiguille du Midi) and the view from there is amazing! And you get fron ground level to the top in like twenty minutes! And once at the top you can even get a different cable car that drops you down into Italy! :smile:

Of the countries you’re visiting, I’ve only been to Germany. Will this be your first time in Europe?

Anyway, I’d recommend Neuschwanstein Castle. It’s a bit of a hike up a steep hill, but it’s worth it. I’m not sure if it’s worth going on a tour of the actual castle, but if you want to take some great pictures, this is probably one of the best sites. If you do visit, you might as well take a few extra days and go to Austria and visit Vienna.
My advice: RENT A CAR and go nuts on the Auto Bahn. :tongue2:

http://goeurope.about.com/cs/germany/p/ludwig_castle.htm

Websites like these may be confusing and difficult to navigate, but a good, quick way to learn how to communicate.

France is definitely a great place to spend time at. The sidewalk cafes, the food, the drinks...delicious.

Greg Bernhardt said:

You're very lucky. Don't forget to show us some pictures.

Greg Bernhardt said:
You are coming to AMSTERDAM? :surprise: :surprise: :surprise: :surprise: that'd be cool :biggrin: I say you shouldn't miss Italy, drive throught the Dolomites and visit Venice :wink:

Greg Bernhardt said:
I live in Switzerland, but I guess Ivan Seeking can give you better tips than I :biggrin: :blush:

I personnally live in Lucerne, quite a classical tourist's town (though not really in winter). If you know how to ski, go anywhere you like, Zermatt, Engelberg, Arosa,...you name it, we got it! :biggrin:

I haven't been to any of those countries, so can't recommend places. I just know I've been told by Europeans that Americans often try to pack too many places into one trip, not realizing that even though the distance isn't far between them, it can take longer to get places due to more traffic and needing to pass through a lot more towns on the way.

On the other hand, traveling between countries by rail at night is a great way to save on hotel expenses...apparently sleeping accomodations on the trains is pretty reasonable. I haven't done this yet either (I've only been to Europe a very few times for conferences and have never had time to really travel far from the meeting location).

If you want to see the very touristy things, it's best to get yourself out of bed very early and get there before the rest of the tourists all show up in the afternoon. Then enjoy the afternoon someplace else. The little bit I've visited of Europe, I've always found the most enjoyable places to visit were not the tourist traps, but the places that the locals go to hang out. After a while, all the cathedrals and castles start to look the same (unless you are really an enthusiast of art and architecture), but meeting people in cafes and parks and markets is fun.

Be flexible with your plans. If you planned to visit something outdoors and it's raining, or you planned to visit a tourist attraction and get there to find there's a 3 hour line to get in, have an alternate plan. Check ahead to make sure things are open the day you plan to visit before you travel to see them. This will keep you enjoying your trip rather than dwelling on what you're missing. Oh, and be sure to enjoy as much bread, cheese, chocolate, and pastries as you can while in Europe. They are all FAR better than what you can get in most of the US! They all go well with French wine or German beer too :wink: (okay, beer and chocolate doesn't sound good, but everything else does).

I'd also recommend traveling by http://www.eurorail.com: the train system is extensive in Europe: you can travel anywhere.

the train system is extensive in Europe: you can travel anywhere.

Kind of like the Translink in B.C. and the Metro in Montreal. It's the US that has poor public transportation.

How is the bike riding in Europe?

I am not sure about bike riding in Europe in general but I can tell you that bike riding in France might not be such a good idea! I've known French drivers to be really uncarish on the roads! Cars and ever coaches hardly even stop at pedestrian crossings, despite the little man being green!

I've been in France (for work) with a friend for 5 weeks and he used to commute to work every day on his bike and that was hell for him on the road. Although if you are cycling in villagey places, it's not usually so bad as cycling in town.

And if you look carefully, at least one car out of two in france has a dent somewhere!

Monique said:
I'd also recommend traveling by http://www.eurorail.com: the train system is extensive in Europe: you can travel anywhere.

This is what Tsu and I did. It was a great time and very affordable. Also, the small price increase for first class is well worth it. Just beware that as we did, you may run into a private line in the more remote areas. We were halfway to Zermat before we knew that this train was not included.

I swear to you, the conductor threatened to kick us off right in the middle of the Alps! He would only accept Swiss cash; NOW! Luckily I had enough Swiss currency from coffee change to pay for a ride in the caboose. :eek:

Dagenais said:
How is the bike riding in Europe?
I go everywhere on my bicycle, there are special roads for bikes so cars are not a problem. I've known people who commuted 40 km to work and 40 km back, everyday.

Bike riding not a good idea in France? Every heard of the tour-de-france? :bugeye: just kidding :rofl:

Monique said:
I go everywhere on my bicycle, there are special roads for bikes so cars are not a problem. I've known people who commuted 40 km to work and 40 km back, everyday.

Bike riding not a good idea in France? Every heard of the tour-de-france? :bugeye: just kidding :rofl:

Ha ha, Very FUNNY! :smile:

In Paris, not even walking is safe. :wink: I had to jump off the sidewalk and into the street a couple of times to avoid being hit by a car driving up on the sidewalk. :bugeye:

Evo said:
In Paris, not even walking is safe. :wink: I had to jump off the sidewalk and into the street a couple of times to avoid being hit by a car driving up on the sidewalk. :bugeye:

Tell me about it!

They seem to think the sidewalk along with the cycle lane is a parking space! Or that the white markings at a zebra crossing is actually black! :smile:

Evo said:

I don't think this problem is exclusive to Paris. I've seen this happen in Poland quite a few times. I don't ever want to drive in Europe, it scares the hell out of me.

Check, I had the same experiences in Poland! I couldn't see any rhyme or reason to the way the cars were going, and was glad I was either walking or taking the bus...driving would have been far too harsh on my nerves!

I've been told that in Paris, you aren't allowed to put the parking brake on when parking. When someone needs to squeeze into a parking space, they just bump the nearby cars out of the way to make enough room. Apparently those who drive to Paris have an old beat-up car for that city because of this. But I haven't been there to see this for myself, I just take the word of my French friends who are biased about the city because they live out in the country.

Moonbear said:
This is what Tsu and I did. It was a great time and very affordable. Also, the small price increase for first class is well worth it. Just beware that as we did, you may run into a private line in the more remote areas. We were halfway to Zermat before we knew that this train was not included.

Those who have seen Euro Trip know not to take the train. :uhh:

Go to see the worlds largest cuckoo clock. I can't remember where it is but it is between Stuttgart in Germany and Strassbourg in France... I think. The Black Forest is very impressive.

Most of the cemetaries in Beligum and other contries are worth visiting because the make you think.

The Bob (2004 ©)

Moonbear said:
I've been told that in Paris, you aren't allowed to put the parking brake on when parking. When someone needs to squeeze into a parking space, they just bump the nearby cars out of the way to make enough room. Apparently those who drive to Paris have an old beat-up car for that city because of this. But I haven't been there to see this for myself, I just take the word of my French friends who are biased about the city because they live out in the country.

I have heard of this as well although not actually witnessed anything like it! It's not quite the law to leave the hand brakes off but people prefer to leave it off because it's less likely that a car trying to park from behind or in front would actually damage your car by bumping into urs if your hand brakes are off than if you had the brakes on!

jimmy p said:
Go to see the worlds largest cuckoo clock. I can't remember where it is but it is between Stuttgart in Germany and Strassbourg in France... I think. The Black Forest is very impressive.

Is this Europe's version of a roadside attraction? :eek: :biggrin: The best they could come up with was a cuckoo clock? How droll. The world's largest ball of string is surely a better thing to see, and you only get that sort of quality attraction in the US. :wink: :tongue: :rofl: :rofl:

Or how about the worldst largest 100 ton Uniroyal tire and nail along I-94 outside Detroit :tongue2:

Ivan Seeking said:
I swear to you, the conductor threatened to kick us off right in the middle of the Alps! He would only accept Swiss cash; NOW! Luckily I had enough Swiss currency from coffee change to pay for a ride in the caboose. :eek:
Hahaha, uhh... :yuck:

I hope thet's better now. At least Euro and USD should be accepted everywhere, but I can't guarantee you that the conductors have become any friendlier :rolleyes:

About biking: I'm a hobby race bicyclist for three years now and I almost never had any problems with car drivers. However, if you stay away from the major axes (and maybe out of the big cities, except Amsterdam ;) ), then biking is quite a pleasant thing here in my eyes.

Moonbear said:
Is this Europe's version of a roadside attraction? :eek: :biggrin: The best they could come up with was a cuckoo clock? How droll. The world's largest ball of string is surely a better thing to see, and you only get that sort of quality attraction in the US. :wink: :tongue: :rofl: :rofl:

Well I'm sorry. I'll have a cup of milky tea and a scone and go back to my boring and extremely British life. *humph* :mad:

1. What is the best time of year to visit Germany, Switzerland, and France?

The best time to visit these countries is during the summer months, from June to August. This is when the weather is the warmest and most pleasant, and many outdoor activities and festivals are held. However, keep in mind that this is also peak tourist season, so expect larger crowds and higher prices.

2. How much should I budget for a Euro trip to these countries?

The cost of a Euro trip can vary greatly depending on your travel style and preferences. However, on average, you can expect to spend around $100-150 per day for budget travel, $200-300 per day for mid-range travel, and $400+ per day for luxury travel. Keep in mind that these costs include accommodation, transportation, food, and activities.

3. Do I need a visa to visit Germany, Switzerland, and France?

If you are a citizen of the United States, Canada, or any other country within the European Union, you do not need a visa to visit these countries for stays of up to 90 days. However, if you are from a country outside of the EU, it is best to check with the respective embassies for visa requirements.

4. What are some must-visit attractions in these countries?

There are countless must-visit attractions in Germany, Switzerland, and France. Some popular ones include the Eiffel Tower in Paris, Neuschwanstein Castle in Germany, and the Swiss Alps in Switzerland. Other notable attractions include the Rhine Valley in Germany, Lake Geneva in Switzerland, and the Louvre Museum in Paris.

5. How should I plan my itinerary for a Euro trip to these countries?

It is recommended to start by deciding which cities and attractions you want to visit in each country. Then, consider the distance between each destination and plan your route accordingly. It is also important to factor in transportation time and costs. Additionally, leave some flexibility in your itinerary for unexpected events or changes in plans. Lastly, make sure to prioritize your must-visit attractions and leave some room for leisure and relaxation.