Taking Math Courses with Math Students

In summary, the conversation discusses the benefits and challenges of pursuing a pure mathematics degree alongside a physics degree. The speaker opted for this path in order to have more flexibility in choosing math courses in the future and potentially open more doors in terms of career opportunities. They also mention how learning pure mathematics has helped them understand and apply mathematical concepts in their physics courses. They suggest seeking advice from experts in the field for a more informed perspective.
mk9898
Hello,

I'm curious on what the forum thinks on this topic. At the physics department there are dedicated math courses for physics students but physics students can also opt for pure math courses with math majors. I opted for the latter and am having difficulties though I am enjoying the courses. I hear all the time, that physics majors should take a lot of math. So I said, well, if that's the case, I'll take math with the majors with the agenda, that later in my studies, I wouldn't be bounded in terms of taking math courses due to the lack of prerequisites. Also, the physics would be "easier".

I am wondering if the hard work now really does pay off later in terms of the level of rigor. It is a lot more work than the regular physics degree but I want to believe that my decision will help open more doors in terms of masters, careers, etc. Any thoughts, personal experiences, advice etc. are appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I am dull majoring in mathematics (pure) and physics. So my advice is limited. Most of the mathematics learned in the pure math classes seem not 100% applicable to the physics at hand. However, taking a special case of a theorem or understanding mathematically why something works, has helped me in my physics courses.

ie., derivation of a physical law or principle. Why certain steps are true. How to check my answers, and see that my solution is correct. Sometimes you can use the math wrong and wind up with the correct solution. When I look at a physics textbook, I am just reading and trying to understand the physics, as opposed to trying to understand both math and physics at the same time.

Also, learning pure mathematics has helped me pick up the math needed for the physics a bit more easily. I still need from time to time learn mathematics that I have not yet defined rigoursly in my math courses.

If you are able to learn the abstract case, then narrow it down to something you need, then I think its a good approach. I may not be 100% correct, but this my experience thus far.

A good example, would be when I took a probability course, and then took statistical mechanics...

Maybe asking someone like Micromass or Dr. Courtney, would give you the best answer.

Likes mk9898

1. What is the benefit of taking math courses with math students?

Taking math courses with math students allows for a collaborative learning environment where students can work together to solve problems and learn from each other's approaches. It also provides an opportunity to build a network of peers who share a common interest in math.

2. Will taking math courses with math students improve my understanding of the subject?

Yes, studying with other math students can enhance your understanding of the subject as you can discuss and compare different methods and strategies for solving problems. It also allows for the opportunity to receive feedback and clarification from your peers.

3. What should I do if I am struggling with a math course despite studying with math students?

If you are still struggling with a math course despite studying with math students, it may be helpful to seek additional resources such as meeting with the professor or participating in a math study group. It is also important to review your study habits and make any necessary adjustments.

4. Are there any disadvantages to taking math courses with math students?

One potential disadvantage is that the pace of the course may be slower if students spend more time discussing and collaborating. Additionally, some students may feel intimidated or uncomfortable sharing their thoughts and ideas in a group setting.

5. How can I make the most out of taking math courses with math students?

To make the most out of taking math courses with math students, it is important to actively participate in group discussions and ask questions. It can also be helpful to form study groups and regularly review material together. Additionally, don't be afraid to seek help from your peers or the professor when needed.