Taking the lim operation on both sides

• Thread starter transgalactic
  • Start date
In summary, it is not always true that the limit of the supremums of subsequences is equal to the limsup of the sequence. There exists a counterexample where this statement does not hold. However, if the condition sup{x_n, n>m}<=sup{y_n, n>m} for all m is met, then the statement is true.
transgalactic
is it legal to take the limit on both sides of an expression

i particular

when i have

sup x_n <=sup y_n

is it ok to do

limsup x_n <=limsup y_n

is the limit of the supremums group of subsequences is the limsup on the sequence
??

Physics news on Phys.org
One of the properties of the limit is that if [tex]a_n\le b_n[/tex] for all n, then [tex]\lim_{n\to\infty}a_n\le\lim_{n\to\infty}b_n[/tex] provided that these limits exist.
Does this answer your question?

This isn't quite that case yyat.

Counterexample: xn = 1 if n=1, 0 otherwise
yn = 1/2 for all n

supxn = 1
supyn = 1/2

limsup xn = 0
limsup yn = 1/2

Office_Shredder said:
This isn't quite that case yyat.

Counterexample: xn = 1 if n=1, 0 otherwise
yn = 1/2 for all n

supxn = 1
supyn = 1/2

limsup xn = 0
limsup yn = 1/2

I don't see how this contradicts anything I wrote.

But you are right, if transgalactic means that sup x_n=sup{x_n,n>=0}, then the statement is wrong by the counterexample you gave (with x_n, y_n switched). I assumed it meant sup{x_n,n>m}<=sup{y_n,n>m} for all m.

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of taking the lim operation on both sides?

The purpose of taking the lim operation on both sides is to evaluate the limit of a mathematical expression or function. This is done in order to understand the behavior of the expression or function as the input approaches a certain value, usually infinity or zero.

2. How do you take the lim operation on both sides?

To take the lim operation on both sides, you first identify the expression or function that you want to evaluate the limit for. Then, you substitute the value that the input is approaching into the expression or function. Finally, you simplify the resulting expression to determine the limit.

3. When is it necessary to take the lim operation on both sides?

The lim operation on both sides is necessary when dealing with indeterminate forms, such as when the numerator and denominator of a fraction approach zero. It is also used when evaluating limits at infinity or when dealing with infinite series.

4. What are the benefits of taking the lim operation on both sides?

Taking the lim operation on both sides allows for a better understanding of the behavior of a mathematical expression or function. It also allows for the determination of important properties, such as continuity, differentiability, and convergence.

5. Are there any limitations to taking the lim operation on both sides?

Yes, there are limitations to taking the lim operation on both sides. It may not always provide a definite answer, as the limit may not exist or may be undefined. It also may not work for more complex functions or expressions that cannot be easily simplified.