Finding a Tangent Line to a Curve: Exploring Slopes

In summary, the slope of a tangent line at a specific point is the result of the derivative of the equation.
aznHypnotix
A tangent to a curve is a line that touches the curve but at what specific point where there is a slope to the curve. Equations like y = X^2 have many slopes because the curve is shaped differently at different points. We can choose 2 points on the graph and find the slope but it will different all the time. What is a true answer for tangent line?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's a limit concept. Are you familiar with limits?

Yes where x goes to zero or infinity or any value.

aznHypnotix said:
A tangent to a curve is a line that touches the curve but at what specific point where there is a slope to the curve. Equations like y = X^2 have many slopes because the curve is shaped differently at different points. We can choose 2 points on the graph and find the slope but it will different all the time. What is a true answer for tangent line?
There isn't any "true" answer for tangent line. As you said, it all depends at which point on the curve you choose to evaluate the tangent line. Think about it this way: Suppose y=x+3. What is the "true" value of y here?

EDIT: Upon reading your OP for the 2nd time, I suppose you might be referring instead to secant lines. There are a number of animations you can view online:
http://www.math.umn.edu/~garrett/qy/Secant.html

And Wikipedia's page here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secant_line#Secant_approximation

Unfortunately the computer I'm using doesn't have java installed properly, so I can't verify if it works.

Last edited:
thanks defender, I'm beginning to understand. Those are some great links you provided. I forgot about the secant line. That makes more sense to me now.

Since the "slope" of the curve varies from point to point, the curve has a different tangent line at each point.

Furthermore, the slope of a tangent line touching at a specific x value is the result of the derivative of the equation.

For example, the derivative of y=x2 is 2x. At x=2, the slope of the line tangent to your equation is 4. (2x = 2(2) = 4).

That is a good way of putting it chislam. I can see it now. I like derivatives and slopes. It is cool.

1. What is a tangent line?

A tangent line is a straight line that touches a curve at only one point. It represents the instantaneous slope of the curve at that point.

2. How do you find the slope of a tangent line?

To find the slope of a tangent line, you can use the derivative of the function at the point of interest. This will give you the slope of the curve at that specific point.

3. What is the equation for a tangent line?

The equation for a tangent line can be written in the form y = mx + b, where m represents the slope of the line and b represents the y-intercept.

4. Can a curve have more than one tangent line at a given point?

No, a curve can only have one tangent line at a given point. This is because a tangent line represents the instantaneous slope of the curve at that point, and there can only be one instantaneous slope.

5. How can finding tangent lines be useful in real life?

Finding tangent lines can be useful in many real-life situations, such as in engineering, physics, and economics. It can help us understand the rate of change of a variable at a specific point, which is important in predicting and analyzing various systems and processes.