Tangent plane approximation via parametric equations

In summary, the speaker is an 18-year-old from Germany using MIT's OpenCourseWare program to study Calculus II. They are having trouble understanding how to find the equation for z using parametric equations and vectors, which can be obtained by finding the parametric equations for the tangents, finding vectors along them, and calculating the cross-product to find the plane they are on. The speaker has attempted to use the formula Q0+ t(Q0Q1) to find the parametric equation, but is struggling with finding the cross-product. They mention adding a PDF for clarity and thank the listener for their help.
noctilux
Hi everyone,

I'm an 18-year-old from Germany and I'm making use of MIT's OpenCourseWare programme. Currently, I'm watching the Calculus II course, and am having some trouble understanding how to find the equation:
z=z0 + a(x-x0) + b(y-y0) by using parametric equations/vectors.
a and b being the partial derivatives of x and y. Now, while I understand the formula itself, the lecturer said that it can also be obtained by first finding the parametric equations for the tangents, then finding vectors along them and finally finding the plane they are on by calculating the cross-product. That seems straightforward enough, but somehow I can't seem to get it right.
I thought I'd use the formula Q0+ t(Q0Q1) to find the parametric equation. So, for the x-line, I thought I could define Q0 as (x0|y0|z0) and Q1 as (x|y0|a(x-x0)+z0). Then Q0Q1 would be <x-x0, 0, a(x-x0)> and Q0Q2 (for y) <0, y-y0 ,a(y-y0)>. The cross-product, however, is rather strange and somehow I think I'm going about this the wrong way...
EDIT: I've added a PDF to make it a little clearer...

Thanks a lot for your efforts,

Martin

Attachments

• Question.pdf
    939 KB · Views: 256
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your question is quite broad, so all I can say is look for "total derivative".

1. What is a tangent plane approximation?

A tangent plane approximation is a method used to estimate the behavior of a surface at a specific point by using a tangent plane to the surface at that point. This approximation is useful in various fields of science and engineering, such as calculus, physics, and computer graphics.

2. How is a tangent plane approximation calculated?

To calculate a tangent plane approximation, the surface is described using parametric equations, which are equations that express the coordinates of points on the surface in terms of one or more independent variables. The tangent plane is then constructed by finding the partial derivatives of these equations at the point of interest and using them to define the coefficients of the tangent plane equation.

3. What are the benefits of using a tangent plane approximation?

Tangent plane approximations provide a simple and efficient way to estimate the behavior of a surface at a specific point without having to use complex mathematical techniques. They are also useful in visualizing and understanding the behavior of surfaces in three-dimensional space.

4. Can a tangent plane approximation be used for any type of surface?

Yes, a tangent plane approximation can be used for any type of surface that can be described using parametric equations. This includes surfaces in two-dimensional and three-dimensional space, as well as curved surfaces.

5. Are there any limitations to using tangent plane approximations?

While tangent plane approximations are useful for estimating the behavior of surfaces at a specific point, they are not always accurate when applied to larger areas or regions. Additionally, they may not be suitable for surfaces with complex or irregular shapes.