Understanding Tangent Vectors at Points on a Curve

In summary, the tangent vector at a point on a curve is formulated as the limit of the change in the position vector divided by the change in the parameter, also known as the rate of change. This allows for the calculation of both the direction and magnitude of the tangent at a point. Integrating the rate of change will result in the original curve expression.
vktsn0303
I was reading about the tangent vector at a point on a curve.
It is formulated as r' = Lim Δt→0 [r(t+Δt) - r(t)] / Δt (sorry for the misrepresentation of the 'Lim Δt→0 ')
where r(t) is a position vector to the curve and t is a parameter and r' is the derivative of r(t).
All I can infer from the formulation is that the tangent is the rate of change of a position vector at a point in question. But then a tangent vector cannot have its components to be rates of change. Because then the defined tangent vector is the rate of change of tangent vector and not the tangent vector itself.

Therefore I think that the tangent vector should be formulated as:
Lim Δt→0 [r(t+Δt) - r(t)].
This would have both the direction and magnitude at a point (or in a very very small interval in this case as Δt→0 ). This could also give us the equation of the tangent at the point.

My question is simple. Why would we represent a vector (tangent vector) at a point by the rate of change of position vector at the point? Shouldn't it just be the difference between two position vectors with Δt→0?

Please tell me if what I think of the formulation is correct.

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
No. Without dividing by Δt, the limit will always be 0 if the function r is continuous. So that would not tell you anything. You want to know the change or r per change in t. So dividing is necessary.

Likes PFuser1232
FactChecker said:
No. Without dividing by Δt, the limit will always be 0 if the function r is continuous. So that would not tell you anything. You want to know the change or r per change in t. So dividing is necessary.

Then why is the rate of change called the tangent vector itself?

Any rate has to be change of r per unit time (or per unit of something else). So you must divide by the amount of time that gave that change. You must divide by Δt. You will have to think about it in those terms. It can't be said any other way.

FactChecker said:
Any rate has to be change of r per unit time (or per unit of something else). So you must divide by the amount of time that gave that change. You must divide by Δt. You will have to think about it in those terms. It can't be said any other way.

But the rate of change at a point can never be a tangent at that point. It has to be integrated to obtain the equation of the tangent.

vktsn0303 said:
But the rate of change at a point can never be a tangent at that point. It has to be integrated to obtain the equation of the tangent.
Sorry, you are wrong.
Example: Let [itex]\vec{r}(t)=(a\cdot\cos(t), a\cdot\sin(t)) [/itex]. Then [itex]\vec{\dot{r}}(t)=(-a\cdot\sin(t), a\cdot\cos(t)) [/itex]. Now the first equation describes a circle with radius a. The second is the rate of change of that equation. Now, a tangent to a circle will always be normal to the radius at that point. If you calculate the scalar product of both expressions, you will see that it is 0, which again means that they are normal to each other.
vktsn0303 said:
But then a tangent vector cannot have its components to be rates of change.
Rates of change of what?
vktsn0303 said:
Now you have completely lost me. If you integrate the rate of change of the curve expression, surely you will get the curve expression back (plus or minus an arbitrary constant)?

What is a tangent vector at a point on a curve?

A tangent vector at a point on a curve is a vector that represents the direction and rate of change of the curve at that specific point.

How do you find the tangent vector at a point on a curve?

To find the tangent vector at a point on a curve, you can take the derivative of the curve at that point. The derivative will give you the slope of the curve at that point, which is the direction of the tangent vector.

What is the significance of tangent vectors on a curve?

Tangent vectors on a curve are important because they allow us to understand the behavior of the curve at a specific point. They give us information about the direction and rate of change of the curve, which can be useful in various applications.

Can there be multiple tangent vectors at a point on a curve?

Yes, there can be multiple tangent vectors at a point on a curve. This occurs when the curve has a sharp turn or corner at that point, and the tangent vector changes direction abruptly.

How are tangent vectors related to the curvature of a curve?

Tangent vectors are closely related to the curvature of a curve. The curvature at a point on a curve is the rate at which the tangent vector changes direction at that point. In other words, the curvature is a measure of how much the curve is bending at that point.