Unit tangent vector and equation of tangent line to curve

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a unit tangent vector and the equation of a tangent line to a curve defined by the parametric equation r(t) = (t, t^2, cos(t)), t>=0 at the point r(pi/2). The conversation also touches on the concept of curves and how they are represented in parametric form. The solution involves finding the derivative of the curve at t=pi/2 and using it to create the tangent vector and equation of the tangent line.
GreenGoblin
"find a unit tangent vector and the equation of the tangent line to the curve r(t) = (t, t^2, cost), t>=0 at the point r(pi/2)." NOW, what I don't get is, how is that a curve? This is not like the example I have studied and I don't really get the question. So I don't know where to start. Once I find a starting point I can probably do it but I don't recognise the form of the problem which is a major issue. Any hinters? Gracias.

Physics news on Phys.org
GreenGoblin said:
"find a unit tangent vector and the equation of the tangent line to the curve r(t) = (t, t^2, cost), t>=0 at the point r(pi/2)." NOW, what I don't get is, how is that a curve? This is not like the example I have studied and I don't really get the question. So I don't know where to start. Once I find a starting point I can probably do it but I don't recognise the form of the problem which is a major issue. Any hinters? Gracias.

Hi GreenGoblin! :)

If you fill in successive values for t, you'll get a number of dots with coordinates (x,y,z).
Connecting those dots gets you a curve.
You might also write it as:

x(t)=t
y(t)=t^2
z(t)=cos(t)

To find the tangent, you're supposed to take the derivative with respect to t, which will give you a tangent vector.

Hi, thanks for your reply. So how can I express this? do i solve the derivatives at pi/2? I get (1, pi, -1). What can I do with this? I am really bad at this topic and I don't know where to go with it. What part of the question is this the solution for? I don't even know. I need a 'unit tangent vector', and a 'tangent line to the curve'. Are these both associated to the point pi/2, or the curve in general? I don't know. can i convert these parametric coords to cartesian. i try to do it but with three variables i can't figure.

Last edited:
GreenGoblin said:
Hi, thanks for your reply. So how can I express this? do i solve the derivatives at pi/2? I get (1, pi, -1). What can I do with this? I am really bad at this topic and I don't know where to go with it. What part of the question is this the solution for? I don't even know. I need a 'unit tangent vector', and a 'tangent line to the curve'. Are these both associated to the point pi/2, or the curve in general? I don't know

You have just found a tangent vector to the curve at $t=\pi/2$.
To make it a unit tangent vector you need to divide each of its components by the length of the vector.
Let's call this vector $\mathbf d$.

If you fill in pi/2 in the curve specification, you get the point on the curve that you need.
Let's call this point $\mathbf{p} = (p_x, p_y, p_z) = (x(\pi/2), y(\pi/2), z(\pi/2))$.

The line has to be a line that goes through this point in the direction of that tangent vector.
The parameter representation of the line is $\mathbf{r}(t) = (p_x + d_x t, ~ p_y + d_y t, ~ p_z + d_z t)$.

As a quick and sloppy way of thinking about it, a curve is something with one degree of freedom. In this case, we have something like $r: I \subset \mathbb{R} \to \mathbb{R}^3$. If we had a surface, we would have something such as $\varphi: U \subset \mathbb{R}^2 \to \mathbb{R}^3$.

More generally, given a map $\gamma: V \subset \mathbb{R}^d \to \mathbb{R}^n$, with $d \leq n$, you can have a maximum of $d$ degrees of freedom. This results in a $d$-dimensional plane in your $n$-dimensional space.

I hope this helps you identify and understand curves and other geometric objects defined in similar ways. (Yes)

- Fantini

Related to Unit tangent vector and equation of tangent line to curve

1. What is a unit tangent vector?

A unit tangent vector is a vector that is tangent to a curve at a given point and has a magnitude of 1.

2. How is a unit tangent vector calculated?

A unit tangent vector can be calculated by taking the derivative of the curve at the given point, and then dividing the resulting vector by its magnitude.

3. What is the equation of the tangent line to a curve?

The equation of the tangent line to a curve at a given point can be written as y-y0=m(x-x0), where m is the slope of the tangent line and (x0,y0) is the given point on the curve.

4. How is the equation of the tangent line found?

The equation of the tangent line can be found by using the point-slope form of a line and plugging in the values of the given point and the slope of the tangent line, which can be calculated using the unit tangent vector.

5. What is the significance of the unit tangent vector and equation of the tangent line?

The unit tangent vector and equation of the tangent line are important in understanding the behavior of a curve at a specific point. They can be used to determine the direction in which the curve is changing and the rate of change at that point.