Tangential Acceleration

1. How do you find the Magnitude of tangential acceleration if you have uniform circular motion? I know the formula for Tangential Acceleration; however I have no clue how to apply it to determine the Magnitude?

2. jcsd
  3. Its just the magnitude of the vector. It should just be V^2/r.

4. The formula in the previous post is incorrect (that's the magnitude of the *radial* component of the acceleration). What formula are you using for tangential acc?

5. Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Do you mean centripetal acceleration? If something is performing uniform circular motion, its tangential acceleration is zero. Or do you mean non-uniform circular motion, which will have a tangential component of acceleration?

6. No, I mean tangential acceleration. That's probably the answer I'm looking for I just have to know how to express that the acceleration would be zero if it was uniform circular motion using words and one equation.

7. Im suppose to use At=[dv/dt].

8. Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

OK, where v is the speed, not the velocity vector. For uniform circular motion, dv/dt = 0.

9. rcgldr

rcgldr 7,534
    Homework Helper

Tangental acceleration can still exist on a object traveling in a circular path. The centripetal force just needs to change with respect to speed2, so it always equals m |v|2 / r.

The magnitude of tangental acceleration would be the magnitude of angular acceleration times r = |angular acceleration| x r.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?