1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tangential and Radial Acceleration

1. Feb 17, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A train slows down as it rounds a sharp horizontal turn slowing from 90.0km/h to 50.0km/h in the 15.0s that it takes to round the bend. The radius of the curve is 150m. Compute the acceleration at the moment the train reaches 50.0km/her. Assume it continues to slow down at this rate.

2. Relevant equations

Vf = Vi + a*t
    Ac = V2 / r

3. The attempt at a solution

I am totally confused and have to hand in this problem tomorrow and I don't have the text book to reference.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2009 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

You have the equations, so what is the acceleration for each of the accelerations when it hits 50 km/hr? Linear and radial?

Once you have calculated those values then you would add them as vectors.

One acceleration is radially inward. The other is slowing and so it is trailing.

Since they are ⊥ then just use Pythagoras to get'er done.

Oh, and as usual be careful with your units.

4. Feb 17, 2009 #3
    Thanks, actually that helped. I got the correct answer =) I just had trouble relating the two equations for some reason.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook