1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tangential Component of Acceleration

1. Jun 19, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I was following through the notes I took in my Calc class, and either I wrote down the formulas incorrectly, my professor did this problem incorrectly, or I wrote the answer down incorrectly. I'm just going to redo it here, so could someone give me a thumbs up or thumbs down if I did it correctly? Thanks.

Problem:

Find the tangential component of the acceleration vector of the given partial motion vector:

[tex]r(t)=\langle e^{-t},\sqrt{2}t,e^t\rangle[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

[tex]a_T=\frac{d}{dt}|v|[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

[tex]v(t)=\frac{dr(t)}{dt}=\langle -e^{-t},\sqrt{2},e^t \rangle[/tex]

[tex]|v|=\sqrt{e^{-2t}+2+e^{2t}}[/tex]
    [tex]|v|=\sqrt{(e^{-t}+e^t)^2}[/tex]
    [tex]|v|=e^{-t}+e^t[/tex]

[tex]a_T=\frac{d}{dt}|v|=-e^{-t}+e^t[/tex]

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 19, 2011 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, that is not how you calculate it. You need to calculate the unit tangent vector T which you get by dividing the velocity vector by its length. Then you get the acceleration vector A by differentiating your velocity vector. Then you get the tangential component of the acceleration by calculating

[tex] A_T = \vec A\cdot T[/tex]

4. Jun 19, 2011 #3
    Okay then I'll do it that way:

(from before)
    [tex]v(t)=\langle -e^{-t},\sqrt{2},e^t \rangle[/tex]
    [tex]|v|=e^{-t}+e^t[/tex]

(new)
    [tex]T(t)=\frac{v(t)}{|v|}=\langle \frac{-e^{-t}}{e^{-t}+e^t}, \frac{\sqrt{2}}{e^{-t}+e^t}, \frac{e^t}{e^{-t}+e^t}\rangle[/tex]

[tex]a(t)=\frac{d}{dt}v(t)=\langle e^{-t},0,e^t \rangle[/tex]

[tex]a_T=a(t) \centerdot T(t) = e^{-t}\frac{-e^{-t}}{e^{-t}+e^t} + 0 + e^t\frac{e^t}{e^{-t}+e^t}=\frac{e^{-2t}-e^{2t}}{e^{-t}+e^t}=\frac{(e^{t}-e^{-t})(e^{t}+e^{-t})}{e^{-t}+e^t}=-e^{-t}+e^t[/tex]

So apparently I CAN do it the original way...and it was a bit easier too. So am I safe to assume I have done it correctly?

5. Jun 19, 2011 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, I made a mistake in my calculation and had a different answer, sorry for the misstep.

6. Jun 19, 2011 #5
    No worries, even my professor with a PHD flubbed it up! Thank the lord for technology :p

7. Jun 19, 2011 #6

Char. Limit

Gold Member

One note: e^(t) - e^(-t) = sinh(t), if you want to make your answer look more elegant.

8. Jun 19, 2011 #7

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You mean = 2 sinh(t).

9. Jun 19, 2011 #8

Char. Limit

Gold Member

Ooops :redface: Of course. 2 sinh(t).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook