Tangible example of relativity of simultaneity

In summary: The term 'theory of relativity' was first used by the physicist Max Born in a paper he wrote in 1921. In it, he proposed to call the new theory by the more general name 'the theory of invariants.' The term 'theory of relativity' was widely attributed to Einstein himself. I haven't made a serious effort to find a citation direct from his writing so I don't know if this attribution is correct - but it is plausible."
Philip Dhingra
I always liked the idea of starting relativity discussions with the idea that your father could travel at a substantial fraction of the speed of light and return back at roughly the same age as you. This makes time dilation seem interesting, and drives curiosity in students.

But I'm struggling to think of a parallel example for the relativity of simultaneity. One that I saw out there was that of car crashes in New York and London that seem to happen at the same time for one observer, but at different times for another observer.

I also thought of maybe suggesting that people could disagree about when you were actually born, sort of giving you the idea that you could have different birth days.

Physics news on Phys.org
Philip Dhingra said:
I always liked the idea of starting relativity discussions with the idea that your father could travel at a substantial fraction of the speed of light and return back at roughly the same age as you. This makes time dilation seem interesting, and drives curiosity in students.

But I'm struggling to think of a parallel example for the relativity of simultaneity. One that I saw out there was that of car crashes in New York and London that seem to happen at the same time for one observer, but at different times for another observer.

I also thought of maybe suggesting that people could disagree about when you were actually born, sort of giving you the idea that you could have different birth days.
Sounds like fun. Being born is one event so you'll need two separated births for that one.

The pole-and-barn 'paradox' is down to RoS but it would be difficult to arrange a demo. It does illustrate that the apparent contradiction follows from a bad assumption about simultaneity.

Likes Philip Dhingra
Philip Dhingra said:
Well, an alien physicist born spacelike separated from Einstein's birth has the same birthday as Einstein! Or not.

Go far enough away and you could find entire civilisations that first figured out the secret was to bang the rocks together (RIP Douglas Adams) on the day of Einstein's birth according to some observers, and killed themselves in a nuclear war on the day of Einstein's birth according to others.

Likes vanhees71 and Mentz114
Mentz114 said:
The pole-and-barn 'paradox' is down to RoS but it would be difficult to arrange a demo.

Two synchronized cameras, one at each end of the barn, taking well timed, simultaneous pictures of the pole should be easily doable.

Likes vanhees71
Jorrie said:
Two synchronized cameras, one at each end of the barn, taking well timed, simultaneous pictures of the pole should be easily doable.
I think there could be a problem getting funding. You'll need a Large Pole Accelerator to get the pole to relativistic speeds.

Likes vanhees71, Philip Dhingra and Ibix
Jorrie said:
The problem is a mix of accelerating the rod, camera reaction time, and camera resolution. I think I worked out that kilometre long rods (standing in for barn and pole) moving in opposite directions at orbital speeds would still not be length contracted to any plausible precision.

Ibix said:
The problem is a mix of accelerating the rod, camera reaction time, and camera resolution. I think I worked out that kilometre long rods (standing in for barn and pole) moving in opposite directions at orbital speeds would still not be length contracted to any plausible precision.
The resolution required is ##L_{garage}V_{pole}/c## . From the national pole institute official handbook (remember to multiply by 2 for dipoles)

Likes vanhees71
All goo ideas!
Mentz114 said:
Sounds like fun. Being born is one event so you'll need two separated births for that one.
Regarding that, though, I somehow thought that the two events in a single birth are the clock and the birth, so no two people could agree as to which hour, minute, and second the birth was synchronous with. Maybe I'm mistaken. If I am, someone let me know!

Well, but your age is without any ambiguity, namely your proper time, an invariant (scalar) quantity, which is thus independent of the reference frame. It's well known that "theory of relativity" is a bad name. It should be named "theory of invariants" (I forgot, which eminent physicist or mathematicians said this first).

vanhees71 said:
It should be named "theory of invariants" (I forgot, which eminent physicist or mathematicians said this first).
It is widely attributed to Einstein himself. I haven't made a serious effort to find a citation direct from his writing so I don't know if this attribution is correct - but it is plausible.

Likes vanhees71
vanhees71 said:
It's well known that "theory of relativity" is a bad name. It should be named "theory of invariants" (I forgot, which eminent physicist or mathematicians said this first).

According to p.65 of How Einstein Created Relativity out of Physics and Astronomy By David Topper, it was Felix Klein.
[ https://books.google.com/books?id=2U6qvi5TlE4C&pg=PA65&dq="invariant+theory" ]
In 1911 a leading mathematician, Felix Klein, proposed the nomenclature " invariant-theory," which in some ways better expressed what the theory was about; that is, replacing old absolutes with new ones. But neither Einstein nor others adopted it.[27][27] Stachel [193], p. 192. As late as 1921 Einstein received a letter from an engineer who proposed
the term invariant-theory. Einstein Papers, Vol. 12, Doc. 250. Einstein replied: "Now to the name
relativity theory. I admit that it is unfortunate, and has given occasion to philosophical misunderstanding
. ... The description you proposed would perhaps be better; but I believe it would cause confusion
to change the generally accepted name after all this time." Quoted in Holton [101], p. 132.

Likes vanhees71 and Nugatory
Traveling to a star at high speed relative to Earth and star, readily shows relativity of simulaneity. Consider the traveler passing Earth sees Earth clock reading noon on day1. They arrive one day later per their time and see the destination clock reading day 1200. It is claimed to them that the clocks always read the same at the same time per earth/star. Yet, factoring light delay, the traveler find both Earth and star clock to run slow compared to theirs. The only possible conclusion is that from the traveler’s notion of simultaneity, when the Earth clock read day 1, the star clock was already reading some time after day 1199. Thus, at starting point, Earth and traveler have radically different notions of which time on the distant clock is simultaneous with theirs. Note, it is best for this explanation to imagine that the traveler is moving uniformly forever, passing the Earth and the the distant star. Simultaneity for accelerating observers is a whole other can of worms.

Last edited:
robphy said:
According to p.65 of How Einstein Created Relativity out of Physics and Astronomy By David Topper, it was Felix Klein.
[ https://books.google.com/books?id=2U6qvi5TlE4C&pg=PA65&dq="invariant+theory" ]
Well, that's quite plausible since Klein was the expert in theory of invariants at his time. Emmy Noether did her PhD work on the subject under his advice, and for physicists Emmy Noether's most important an famous result is within the theory of invariants, namely the theorems precisely determining the relation between symmetries and conservation laws of 1918. Funnily Noether herself later called this work "bullshit", because it's too applied. I guess for mathematicians, indeed, her main contribution is the development of abstract algebra. For (theoretical) physicists however her work in the theory of invariants and the famous Noether theorems can not be underestimated in its importance for all of modern physics, particularly quantum physics, where we were completely lost in the sense of intuitions without the clear foundation in representation theory of the symmetry groups underlying the natural laws (space-time symmetries as well as more abstract symmetries as local gauge symmetries and topology).

Philip Dhingra said:
One that I saw out there was that of car crashes in New York and London that seem to happen at the same time for one observer, but at different times for another observer.

The two crashes are space-like events, so sequence does not make difference on any physical consequences. The different sequences cause no physical different results. I am afraid there is not any tangible example as you expect.

What is the concept of relativity of simultaneity?

The relativity of simultaneity is the idea that the order of events can appear differently to different observers, depending on their relative motion and position in space. This is a fundamental principle of Einstein's theory of relativity.

Can you provide a tangible example of relativity of simultaneity?

One common example is the "train and platform" scenario. Imagine two people, one standing on a train platform and the other on a moving train. The person on the platform sees a lightning bolt strike at two different points on the train tracks at the same time. However, the person on the train, who is moving relative to the platform, sees the lightning bolt strike at different times because they are moving towards or away from the points of impact at different speeds.

How does the relativity of simultaneity affect our perception of time?

The relativity of simultaneity suggests that time is not absolute, but rather a relative concept. This means that two observers moving at different speeds may experience time differently, with one perceiving events as happening at the same time while the other sees them happening at different times.

What real-world applications rely on the concept of relativity of simultaneity?

The concept of relativity of simultaneity is crucial in the development and use of GPS technology. The satellites that make up the GPS system are constantly moving in different orbits, and the clocks on each satellite must be synchronized with each other and with the receiver on the ground. Without taking into account the relativity of simultaneity, the GPS system would not function accurately.

How does the relativity of simultaneity challenge our traditional understanding of cause and effect?

The relativity of simultaneity raises questions about the traditional concept of cause and effect, as it suggests that the order of events can appear differently to different observers. This challenges the idea that there is a single, absolute cause for every effect, and instead suggests that causality may be relative and dependent on an observer's frame of reference.