1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Taught Msc vs Msc by thesis

1. Jul 1, 2015 #1
    I know little about how the two compare.
    I'm just after any information on them really.

In particular things like:

- Which is the usual route taken? I believe it is taught? On university websites it gives the number of spaces for the taught Msc but not the by thesis ones, what are the typical numbers of students completing a Msc by thesis?

- Which has more funding available? (I think it's quite difficult to get funding for Msc anyway, and is more likely for a Phd, is this correct?).

- At the unis I've looked at so far, you apply by proposing your thesis and writing a certain number of words on your research proposal. I have just completed my undergrad and feel as though I have not really covered enough topics/know a topic in enough detail to know what topic would be of particular interest or even know enough about a certain topic to propose a research proposal?

( I did a Maths and Physics degree but am interested in a Maths masters so I must have covered a smaller range of maths topics)

(The only thing I can think of is to read about the topics of research at the uni)

- Are you less likely to be accepted to do a Msc by thesis?

(I'm interested unis in the U.K please).

Many thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 3, 2015 #2
    These are questions best answered by physics faculty in the UK.

In the US, it is much easier to get funding for a PhD for physics. Some engineering disciplines have funding for research MS degrees. Research is important to funding, because the advisor's research grant is paying the bills.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook